Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The IP you're using to send mail is not authorized

FIXED
philrw
Hooked

The IP you're using to send mail is not authorized

I have a business IP block for my server and have started having problems sending emails to Gmail. The error message is "The IP you're using to send mail is not authorized to 550-5.7.1 send email directly to our servers. Please use the SMTP relay at your 550-5.7.1 service provider instead.".

This has been working perfectly for over 10 years. The whole point of me having an email server is to send emails directly.

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: The IP you're using to send mail is not authorized

@philrw Do you have an SPF record for your domain ? and does it specify your server IP as being a valid sender ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

philrw
Hooked

Both the domain name and the IP address are in the SFP record and it passes.

Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
       spf=pass

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

In that case it could be that your IP is on the Spamhaus PBL list , have a look at this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Business/Spamhaus-PBL-on-static-IP/td-p/1793562

Using relay.plus.net as a Smarthost should get around the problem

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

philrw
Hooked

It's interesting that my IP address has now found it's way on to the PBL block list.

This is again a case of PlusNet screwing over their business customers as they are responsible for the IP block.

Business customers shouldn't need to relay email through anywhere.

This issue has happened before and PlusNet simply told Spamhaus what IP blocks are allocated to business customers and not to block them, why can't they do this again?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

One could also argue, that if the IP is the same , then why have Spamhaus put it back on the PBL.

Anyway , you can now remove it yourself I believe https://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/removal/

philrw
Hooked

Spamhaus have put it back on the PBL because PlusNet have not told them that the IP block should not be put on a block list.

My server only sends email to myself as reports so it can't be anyone else.

I have removed my IP from the block list but I still maintain that I shouldn't have to go through these problems with a business account.