Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you for the suggestion.

AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Thank you for the suggestion.

I've been trying to establish why my business ADSL link is running at 1 mbps upload rather than the 2 mbps advertised currently and when I first purchased the service. Our premises is about 5 minutes walk from the exchange which is approximately 450 metres as the line flies so to speak. According to the PN business support team half speed is perfectly reasonable and to be expected.

We use the ADSL line as a backup to a VDSL service via another ISP. so most of the time a slower back up service is not a problem. However, we do use the Internet for voice/video conferencing so PN Business Support suggested we upgrade to Fibre Broadband to get a faster upload speed on the backup link.

I've pointed out to the support team that PN does not provide Fibre connection (except in a very limited number of trial cases), but they do provide VDSL, i.e. fibre to a local cabinet then via twisted pair copper to the building.

As PN cannot support a 2 mbps upload speed on ADSL I think we'll take up the PN support suggestion and order a second VDSL service to replace the ADSL, but it won't be via PlusNet. We need a supplier organisation a bit more focused on business support.

We've deliberately kept line provision direct through BT so we can facilitate broadband service change. I'm busy with VAT Returns this week,, but I'll put the new order through next week.  We're out of the fixed contract period so the cost will be minimal.

Meanwhile I've closed the support call with PN as I do not expect to see any developments. I hate to disappoint my fans on this forum, but we do have other PN lines, at the moment, to other buildings, so I'll still be posting here.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Thank you for the suggestion.

I am sure that you know this already but the only way you will get 2Mb/s upload is Annex M

AlaricAdair
Champion

2M Upload2M Upload

Here is their advertised service for business, from the PN website today. Advertised 18 Mb Download 2Mb upload.  They either offer it or they don't.

I was reminded today, their Cancellations team only work "office hours" Monday to Friday, even for business customers. I knew that anyway, but I checked in case they'd changed that process.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It's advertised as "Up to" 2Mb upload - Annex M is apparently £10 per month extra.

AlaricAdair
Champion

As I'm getting 17 mbps on the download, I should be getting something like 1.8 mbps on the upload unless of course the service has been deliberately/negligently downrated at the exchange to a standard 1 mbps.

Along the same lines, if Annex M is required there should be no additional fee.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Perhaps have a look at https://www.plus.net/business/broadband-guide/ and the "Annex-M" add-on under "Value added services".

It's also lists the price as being from £4.50 or £15.00 or the price for whichever package you're looking at.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

That page states...

The Annex-M add-on allows users on ADSL2+ (in Annex M enabled exchanges) to potentially receive up to 2.5Mbps upstream, by sacrificing a small amount of available downstream bandwidth.

So a key question here would be "Is the OP's exchange Annex M enabled?".  One might riskily presume it is... but that would be dangerous!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

I'm assuming that if @AlaricAdair was unaware of the additional charge for Annex M, then they must have never ordered it in the first place.

AlaricAdair wrote:

I've been trying to establish why my business ADSL link is running at 1 mbps upload rather than the 2 mbps advertised currently and when I first purchased the service.

I think this means that at the time of initial purchase, the advertising said 2 Mbps upload, rather than it was initially running at 2 Mbps upload.

AlaricAdair
Champion

@ejs the issue is now academic. There was no real investigation by PN and no sign they'll rectify their advertising. My business is of no interest to PN. Following the suggestion from PN business support to go to VDSL (Superfast Fibre),rather than investigate, I've given the contract to another supplier and the switch-over takes place in a couple of weeks. Currently I've PN services at other locations, I'll leave those in place for the moment.