Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed dropped from 8Mbps to 2 Mbps

msssltd
Grafter

Speed dropped from 8Mbps to 2 Mbps

Any chance someone that has a clue can have a look at my ticket  #47403292
Speed dropped from 8Mbps to 2Mbps on Monday.  SNR is looking a bit odd too.
The line was solid at 4Mbps to 5Mbps on the 20CN for years.  
I switched to ADSL2+ in June and it has been running at a fairly steady 7Mbps to 9Mbps since then.
Noticed the fall off yesterday and confirmed it with our own router logs

BT Speedtester is saying I can expect 800Kbps to 2000Kbps.  
Clearly I am expecting about 6Mbps more than that!
There are more stats on my monitoring page.  Click the graphs to see the history.
https://451dev.emscom.net/mrtg
We have a lot of work to get done over the weekend so I would really appreciate some attention.  
This is a business account BTW.
6 REPLIES 6
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Speed dropped from 8Mbps to 2 Mbps

Can you post the results from a BT speed test please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Your line has been banded, most likely as the result of a dropping connection issue from checking your logs here. Best thing to do would be to run through the faults troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net, the line's a lot more stable now as a result of the banded profile so probably won't show any drops even if plugged into the master or test socket but it's still worth testing.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Is it of relevance that the vms.mssystems.co.uk site seems to be down
msssltd
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Hi there,

Please don't take this as being aimed at you personally, Matt.  I appreciate your attention and that you are trying to help.
I did not ask for my line to be banded.  The drops were not causing me any problem.  Having my download speed fall from 8Mbps to 2Mbps is causing me a severe problem.  Being asked to jump through hoops is also proving to be highly inconvenient.  
Nothing has changed at my premises for months.  My router is working as it should.  It's been plugged directly into the master socket since June.  I have changed the micro-filters, as asked.   Carried out the btspeedtest, as asked.  Even changed the PSTN lead.  Followed the fault wizard, as asked.  Dug out an old phone, rearranged the office furniture and disrupted my staff to facilitate it all.  
I would very much like to see the download speed put back to 'normal' so we can all get back to some productive work.
msssltd
Grafter

Oldjim thanks.  
You will not be able to reach vms while the router is down.  The sites got a self cert which needs to be accepted too.
I guess you were trying to access it while I was messing around following the fault wizard.  I can reach the site from my iPhone so you should be able to see it now.

Edit.  Sorry, my bad.  I used the internal name and it's not in our public DNS.
Try https://451dev.emscom.net/mrtg
Original link has been amended.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

One of the things the BT exchange equipment does automatically is band the line if it sees the connection is unstable in an effort to stabilise it. The drops have caused you a problem - that's why you are getting the slower speeds. If the banding was removed it is highly likely it will be put on again if the drops continue.
If your router is one of those supported by RouterStats it would be worth running that to see if you can spot sudden changes of more than 2 or 3 db in the noise margin and whether you can associate the times of those events with the use of any other equipment or if they occur at particular times.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)