Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Business Server Anti-Virus

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Small Business Server Anti-Virus

Can anyone who currently manages a small business network please suggest a good all-round security package for around 20 users.
It has to include client, server and email protection.
I currently use F-Secure which is coming up for renewal.
Current software is Microsoft Small Business Server with SQL and unfortunately ISA.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
20 REPLIES 20
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Small Business Server Anti-Virus

I was having a look at something similar last night, installed this http://www.avast.com/eng/buy-avast-antivirus-sbs-suite.html at the site on the 60 day trial.
Might be worth a look for you Strat.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Strat
Community Veteran

Thanks Adie, I'll have a look at it.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
techguy
Grafter

I use the free client version of Avast! Strat and up to now I've had no problems.
It includes network traffic, web, mail, Exchange, pop3 and Instant Mesaging protection elements along with your standard on-access protection, the elements load/unload on-demand so it doesn't hog system resources either.
Strat
Community Veteran

Thanks techguy Smiley
samuria
Grafter

You should have 2 systems one on the server and another vendors on the pc so if one misses the other may catch it. I have used ESET for a long time and it now has a business edition with firewall and anti spyware buit in. remember spyware is now more prevalent than virus so dont forget that.
Most AV is about the same some are better than others on one thing but all in all there isnt a lot between them
mssystems
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

McAfee System Protection suite, is my choice for SBS networks. 
You get pretty much all the separate applications you need in the box.
Groupshield & Netshield look after exchange
AV Enterprise on the desktop
EPO for management
In addition Spybot for spyware
I am not a fan of the bells and whistles integrated potection packages. 
If the perimeter has been secured properly you don't need the bells and whistles running on every PC inside.

Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: Samuria
You should have 2 systems one on the server and another vendors on the pc so if one misses the other may catch it.

Good idea but makes central management slightly difficult. Wink Smiley
Quote from: mssystems
McAfee System Protection suite, is my choice for SBS networks.

I have used this in the past and had no real problems. It's on my top 5. Smiley
Quote from: mssystems
If the perimeter has been secured properly you don't need the bells and whistles running on every PC inside.

If the Internet was the only source of malware I might agree.

Lurker
Grafter

Yup, the only reason I moved from McAfee to Sophos was due to a licensing 'disagreement' we had.
McAfee would still be in my top 5 (although I did dislike the old EPO, I'm informed its a lot better these days)
Strat
Community Veteran

F-Secure (current installed product) is not what I would call an integrated suite. More like a collection of applications that just happen to reside on the same CD.
McAfee on the other hand installed and felt much more like an integrated suite.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Strat
Quote from: Samuria
You should have 2 systems one on the server and another vendors on the pc so if one misses the other may catch it.

Good idea but makes central management slightly difficult. Wink Smiley

Symantec Corporate edition works quite well and does give you central management.  Works quite well on my 3 server system Grin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran

What I was referring to was if I used F-Secure with it's central console on the server and Symantec clients the F-Secure console would not recognise the Symantec clients and would not be able to remotely manage and update them. It therefore makes sense to have the clients and server running the same package....harmony prevails. Smiley
Ok we only have 21 clients and a trip round them would only take me a Sunday but Sundays are precious to me Wink
MauriceC
Resting Legend

Go the whole hog and use Symantec Clients on Server and Pc's along with Symantec Central console?  I use it for  a charity with three sites (and Servers)  and about 55 desktops / Laptops.  Works well and  saves an awful lot of legwork. Cheesy
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran

Thanks Maurice.
The product I currently use, F-Secure has a very serviceable central monitor and control application running on the server. This allows me to monitor clients and distribute updates across the network easily.
The McAfee product I used a couple of years ago didn't have quite the same facilities IIRC.
I have looked at Symantec but memories of past issues with Norton still cloud my judgement Undecided
If it was my network it wouldn't be a problem however it's work and mission critical so 'better safe than sorry' rules the day. Smiley
MauriceC
Resting Legend

Quote from: Strat
I have looked at Symantec but memories of past issues with Norton still cloud my judgement Undecided
If it was my network it wouldn't be a problem however it's work and mission critical so 'better safe than sorry' rules the day. Smiley

I appreciate your concern - I had similar reservations when I inherited the decision.  The deal is complex in that we (locally) get the software free as part of some Central license agreement.  Low (zero!) cost has a disproportionate effect on the Trustee board decision making Wink
Having said that, I've been using it now for 2 years with no real problems.
Maurice