cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sick of such terrible support

XBumble
Dabbler

Re: Sick of such terrible support

Why has this simple issue taken 3 weeks for me to get an answer?

I have put that password into the router and cannot connect.

I asked your support for help and was told I would not get any as it wasn't a router supplied by you.

This is terrible support. What am I supposed to do now?  -what use is me paying Plusnet a premium fee for support only t be told that is not forthcoming.

If you cannot/will not give me the support i need, then I please wish to move my custom to a company who can.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

If you're still unable to connect using the account password and you're sure you're using the right password then there should be something else at play here that may be wrong. What router do you have?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
XBumble
Dabbler

Thank you for your time.

It is an ASUS NT-N66U 'Dark knight'

With regards to the password....

When I go into my Plusnet account details and then to 'connection details', the password is asterisked out. But when I count the asterisks, the number of asterisks is different from the number for my log-in password.

Similarly, the POP3 password is also just asterisks and I don't know what that should be.

I daren't change the password via the Plus Net area as it will then mess up the old Thompson rouetr and I could then not get onto the Internet at all.

I just need to know what these passwords are. Why is this such a problem for you? - can't you just email them to me?

I must get this sorted out as it is costing me time and money.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

While I'm searching the web for answers, I've noticed that your broadband is already connected?

Which router are you currently using?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
XBumble
Dabbler

Yes, this is how I am talking to you at the moment.

The router I currently have is the original Thompson router you supplied to me back in 2007. The router came with a booklet, but that was with a company who originally set this up when I was working for them. I no longer have the email address that I had back then, nor was I given the booklet. The company who were employing me went bust so I cannot get it from them.

All I need to know are the 2 passwords.

Not sure if  you saw my post above as I amended it.

Can't you just please email me the router DSL password and also the POP3 password so I can retry this new router?

I am tech savvy when it comes to routers, but I cannot trouble-shoot without this critical information.

I have logged out of my Plusnet Account, then logged back in again to make sure the password I thought I had was correct. My log-in back into the Plusnet account was successful.

But if I then go to the 'broadband settings page', the password is shows as asterisks has a different number of asterisks than there should be if the passwords for both was the same. As such, I suspect these are in fact different. I have looked at the back of the router. There is a sticker which gives me wireless connection info, but nothing more.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the detail.

Unfortunately we can't see your passwords due to data protection.

The DSL password is your account password. If you reset it you should then be sure you've got it right.

The POP3 password is for incoming e-mail which should be your account password also, but you shouldn't need this when setting up a router.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
XBumble
Dabbler

Then why are the password asterisks for the dsl password different to the amount of letters in my PlusNet account password?

I have tried the log-in password on the new router and it is coming up as incorrect.

I daren't change the password via your website account system as if I do that, and the new router won't work, I won't then be able to log in with the old one, which is working at the moment.

Ordinarily I would call support, but this is proving impossible and have been told you won't help me anyway as it is not one of your routers.

If I try and log into the Thompson router by going to 192.168.1.254, I am presented with a username/pwd login screen. I don't know what these are so I cannot get into the router to see if the password is visible there. I have of course tried my PlusNet username/pwd combo here and as I suspected it didn't work.

So what I am I supposed to do now?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry I'm a little confused now, if you've tried connecting your new router up I'd expect to see a drop in your connection but there hasn't been one for 9 days. Are you just trying to login to the router settings as opposed to setting it up to work with your broadband connection?

If you're just trying to login to the router settings then this password wouldn't be anything to do with us, it'll be the admin password or similar on the router itself or in the manual.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
XBumble
Dabbler

OK, let's go back to the beginning.

3 weeks ago I tried to change over to my new router.

I set it up with all the details for your broadband connection' details page.

The passwords for the POP3 and for the dsl password were just asterisks.

I don't have the original passwords so I don't know what they are.

I sent a support ticket on the 19th December asking if you could send them to me.

So right here right now, I am currently just on the original Thompson router. I am making no attempt to try the new router until I can be sure of the proper passwords.

You have told me that the password for the dsl are the same as the password I use to log into the customer area of your website.

I tried that password 3 weeks ago when I was trying to connect with the new router. The new router gave me a message saying that the password I was entering was incorrect. The password I as entering was definitely the one I use to log into the PlusNet account on your website. Just to check, I logged out of your website support area and then logged back into it again with the same password I tried 3 weeks ago.

Since that time, I have not tried to log in again with the new router. The reason was because I thought you could just simply either send me a new password, or let me change it via somewhere on your website.

So I am now in this situation:

I'm on the Thompson router you originally supplied to me when I came to you, which is about 12 years old. The new router is sitting next to it unplugged.

I know the password will not work with the new router as I have tried it 3 weeks ago

I dare not change the password again as that would then mean the Thompson would no longer work and I won't be able to get back onto the internet to speak with you about it on here. I am unable to log into the old Thompson router via 192.168.1.254 as it is asking me for a username and password which i don't have. I have looked for it on your website and it told me to use admin and then the router serial number for the password. I have done this but cannot log in.

So if I change my password via your website, I will not be able to change it on the Thompson should the new password not work on the new router. I would then be without any broadband at all.

Ordinarily you would think that this would be a simple case of calling support and getting help. but this is proving impossible and as I have previously stated. I have been told by your support staff that they will not help me as the new router was not supplied by you.

So now I am just sitting in Limbo with nowhere to go and no help whatsoever.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the detail.

If you reset your account password online and it doesn't work still, you should be able to get back online by factory resetting your Plusnet router which will connect automatically with our hardware management TR069 system.

Alternatively you'll be able to update the password by logging into the Thomson gateway using the username admin and the serial number beginning with CP.

With regards to setting up your ASUS router, it's a lot easier to help out if you can advise what screens and options you see when you go through the setup process.

I've personally never set up an ASUS router before and 3rd party hardware is beyond our remit, but we're still more than happy to help but i'd be going off my own knowledge.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
XBumble
Dabbler

I have logged into the Thompson router now, but the internet connection password is 'asterisked' out on here too.

The number of asterisks showing on the Thompson 'Connection Information' screen on the router for the password is different to the number of asterisks for my website control panel account password. Therefore they must be two different passwords.

I just wanted to call support and get them to help me, but the waiting times were over an hour. Your online chat was turned off and your replies to my support tickets were days old with no reply.

You used to have a separate support number for business users, but this now seems dead.

So what am I to do? And please bear in mind that I am paying a premium price for business support, yet have ended up having to talk to a support person via an online forum as all other channels are broken or unmanageable.

I appreciate your input here, but I'll obviously if I were to move onto the ASUS, I would  be offline while trying to set tatrouter up and won't be able to converse with you on here.

The ASUS router set up is very simple.I know the problem is the username/password as it clearly told me that when I attempted to log in with it.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Happy to call you back tomorrow afternoon if you want?

Though no guarantee I'd be able to 100% assist you with the setup.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
XBumble
Dabbler

Do you have an email address I can reach you on as I am not around tomorrow due to meetings. Maybe I can contact you when I know I will have some time?

I appreciate your help.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem, though unfortunately I don't have an e-mail address I can provide publicly but feel free to PM me when you're free and I'll try to call you then. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mav
Fixes: 514

@XBumble

Your post was, indeed, caught by the Spam Filter and has been released and can be seen here.

Regarding the number of asterisks; this could be a red herring. My password is two characters more than the number of asterisks that are shown.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still