Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure Shell now being traffic shaped? - Sorted - My fault

mattewan
Grafter

Secure Shell now being traffic shaped? - Sorted - My fault

Hello,
For the last few days, my ssh tunnels from my server to another server at a different premises has gone from downloading at 6mb/sec (roughly my full line speed) to about 350k/sec
here is a bandwidth graph: http://mattewan.plus.com/images/sshbw.png
its going at a dead consistent speed... as if it is being throttled.
other things are working fine as you can see, there are a few spikes.
cheers.
//EDIT
This seems to have been a fault at my end. I rebooted my modem and its been fine ever since it re-connected.
5 REPLIES 5
jheenan
Grafter

Re: Secure Shell now being traffic shaped? - Sorted - My fault

Quote from: mattewan
This seems to have been a fault at my end. I rebooted my modem and its been fine ever since it re-connected.

FWIW, it may well not have been at your end. Sometime when you connect to plus you'll get assigned the wrong traffic profile (if one of their servers is down or too busy to respond correctly), and then a reboot will often then result in you getting the correct traffic profile again.
Mark
Grafter

Hi jheenan
Sometime when you connect to plus you'll get assigned the wrong traffic profile (if one of their servers is down or too busy to respond correctly)

Your traffic profile is assigned by product type, not a server. Not exactly sure what your referring to, unless you're talking about a difference between BT profile and ours where the line speed drops following a low synch event and our side hasnt cought up. But there's no server allocating any profile. Thats managed by product type and the Ellacoya E30's.
However, as this is the second SSH throughput issue I've seen on the boards, I think I've a bit of digging to do.
@ mattewan.
Has your issue remained resolved or has it resurfaced? Did you raise a ticket re the original issue?
Mark
jheenan
Grafter

Hi Mark,
Possibly I've got the wrong end of the stick somewhere, or things have changed. I think it was probably something I'd read from Bob Pullen at some point that stated that under certain (unusual) conditions customers would be assigned a "default" traffic shaping profile that would be fairly badly throttled, and a reboot of the router would usually sort out such a case and get them back onto their correct traffic shaping.
Cheers,
Joseph
Mark
Grafter

Yip. On the rare occasion that has happened, say if our Radius platform has thrown a wobbly and the customer is assigned an incorrect Ip which can't be mapped to a product or account, an incorrect profile can be applied. If it happens, its likely to happen to large number of customers as opposed to one. Rare event and thankfully hasn't hit us (at least on my side of the fence) for some time.
M
mattewan
Grafter

Sorry, didn't realise that there were new replies.
Mark, the problem hasn't come back, and the throughput speed of ssh has been excellent.
Thanks for looking into it.