cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Email delivery, possible to view the queue?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: SMTP Email delivery, possible to view the queue?

When you connect to a server to offer it mail it can see your actual IP address. If you are on ADSL that would always be from the pool. I suppose you could get a leased line but that is going to cost you a little* bit more!
* all right, quite a lot more
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Not applicable

Quote from: jelv
When you connect to a server to offer it mail it can see your actual IP address. If you are on ADSL that would always be from the pool. I suppose you could get a leased line but that is going to cost you a little* bit more!
* all right, quite a lot more

Or relay the mail to a server at an address not in the pool - for example, the PN relay one.... Wink
batfastad
Grafter

Fair enough, so the relay route is the best option then.
Yeah unfortunately a leased line is a little out of our price range Wink
So I guess even if my mail server was running linux, I just run the same finger command to the autoturn server?
But the server just receives the mail and doesn't know whether it's received direct from an SMTP server, or from PN's autoturn.

So can I have my domain name hosted elsewhere, and have PlusNet's autoturn listed as the lowest priority MX, as a backup?
I'm thinking probably not - and I'll have to contact the new host to see if they can offer a backup MX service.
Other people I've contacted about backup MX, have said you set it up in Exchange using the POP3 connector. I've heard that's a bit dodgy in SBS 2003 and much prefer this autoturn method.
Is that autoturn thing something that's specific to PlusNet's config?
Or would other hosting providers generally offer something like that as well?
Thanks, B
zubel
Community Veteran

Autoturn is fairly Plusnet specific.
Other providers often use something called Extended Turn ETRN, whereby the primary MX will connect to the secondary MX and request dequeueing using a command (surprisingly) called ETRN.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETRN
B.