Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricting Access to "dodgy" websites

FIXED
MysteryMan1
Grafter

Restricting Access to "dodgy" websites

I have just signed my tennis club up for a Business Broadband account and expect it to be installed/activated this week.

In the past, I have used OpenDNS to restrict access to inappropriate website and, from what I've read, this will not be possible using the supplied router (Hub One) as I will not be able to chance the DNS settings.

I have seen mention of Safeguard - is this something that can be configured to do what I want and will I have access to this on a Business account?

16 REPLIES 16
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Restricting Access to "dodgy" websites

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Business.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi,

Safe guarding is available on business accounts.  In the past there were problems finding the link to it and some business accounts had issues applying it - see https://community.plus.net/t5/Business/Plusnet-Safeguard-for-Business-customers/m-p/1645465#M4073 - however that has been reported as being fixed.

See https://www.plus.net/my-account/safeguard/ which oddly appears under "My Perks" not under "Manage my account".

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 11

If you’re familiar and happy using openDNS then it might be worth considering a replacement router which allows a change to dns settings. 

MysteryMan1
Grafter

Yes, we have a Billion 7600 router in place, now, that has been used for BT, and I am hoping that I can just change the username/password to the Plusnet ones and it will work. This will save me a bit or work configuring the Hub One.....fingers crossed!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@MysteryMan1  I cant find much information on the 7600. Is it quite an old model ?

Was it used for adsl with BT ? I suspect it is not vdsl2 capable and wont work with fibre

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MysteryMan1
Grafter

Sorry, my mistake......I think it is a Billion 7800n router and it was used for plain ADSL - not fibre.

I will be heading down there later this morning to see if it works or not.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@MysteryMan1 wrote:

Sorry, my mistake......I think it is a Billion 7800n router and it was used for plain ADSL - not fibre.

For two or three years now I've been using a Billion 7800n and 8800NL swapped every few months - both solid as a rock on ADSL2+.  🙂  Both very good WiFi too.

Only the 8800NL is VDSL compatible.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
MysteryMan1
Grafter

Changed the username and passowrd on the Billion but could not get it to lock on to ADSL signal. So, sorry to say, I gave up and put in the Plusnet Hub One and configured Safeguard.

I will check at the weekend that this has done what I wanted to restrict access to undesirable sites.

Now need to work out how to get Port Forwarding to work!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Is your Plusnet account ADSL or FTTC?

If ADSL then there ought to be no reason why that router will not work on the Plusnet service.

MysteryMan1
Grafter

It is fibre and must be FTTC as not to premises

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

In that case, that router is not going to work.  Given that you cannot set your own DNS addresses in the Plusnet Hubs, Plusnet safeguard is the only option for managing website access.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

Reckon I'd rather have gone for a BT Hub 5/6 from a well known auction site.

MysteryMan1
Grafter

Well, if it gives any problems then I will see about that option - thanks!

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

Do a search on Plusnet safeguard, seem to remember it can cause problems you can't get out of.