Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement router with a good firewall and static external ip support

socialshazza
Hooked

Replacement router with a good firewall and static external ip support

Hi all ..

I am a business fibre customer that swapped from BT (as it was getting painfully expensive for a not great service) .. I am after a router to replace the standard HH clone that we get issued.

I need one that has a decent firewall as I run a lot of test servers so need to poke holes / assign external ips, has a good wifi range as I live in an ancient bungalow with very solid walls, and it would be also good if I can configure the dhcp server, have some parental control etc.. there are loads on the market that look like they will do some of the job .. but not all of it.

One of the things I liked about the homehub router was assigning names for devices on the network (we have a lot - 2 phones, 4 tablets, 3 laptops, 4 PCS, 3 skyboxes, 3 games consoles and about 10 virtual machines) - I just want to be able to have full control the HH wasn't great but it did the job and the firewall on it was pretty good.

When I was with BT I had a bank of static IPS (which I will be adding on to my plusnet account), so I need a something that can manage that too - as I run a lot of test servers and machines for Demos (running a variety of stuff from email servers to social platforms)

any pointers would be great ..

Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Replacement router with a good firewall and static external ip support

If you're happy with your current router why not use that. PlusNet list the settings needed at

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

If memory serves changing the settings on a BT router is not the easiest of thing to do but it can be done.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I just want to be able to have full control the HH wasn't great but it did the job and the firewall on it was pretty good.

When I was with BT I had a bank of static IPS

@socialshazza AFAIK the BT HH never supported multiple static IP's. It sounds like you actually had a BT Business Hub. As @bmc says, it should be possible to just put in your PlusNet username & password and continue to use that.

This thread https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/A-BT-Business-Hub-5A-on-Plusnet/m-p/1454231#M3495 might help

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

socialshazza
Hooked

I did have a business hub which worked lovely - when it worked .. the issues I have with them is the wifi is absolutely shocking on it .. and the router would have issues and stop assigning or losing my static ips - I would have to do a total factory reset on the thing .. I got through about 5 hubs in 3 years .. which is not great ..

I am currently using an open reach modem with a standard wifi hub which is bog basic .. and not really fit for purpose - I want something that is like the BT business hub but that acutally works Smiley

thanks for your help so far - thought I would come here for suggestions before I went and spent cash on a new one

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The only router I've actually used in a multiple static IP configuration is the old ADSL BT Business hub, and I still use that on our ADSL line. The Draytek is pretty good kit and I believe most of it will support MultiNat which effectively allows one-to-one public to lan ip mapping. I've used a couple of Draytek 2820's in the office for VPN connections and use a 2830 at home, but none of these are multiple IP configurations I'm afraid. If you were looking for a single box solution i.e integrated modem then your're looking at the 2860 upwards and they're not cheap I'm afraid. Comparsion chart here http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison. You might be able to pick up a cheap 2nd hand 2820n or 2830n and continue to use the BT modem if you're still ok with a 2 box solution.

I believe some of the Billion models will also support multinat https://www.billion.uk.com/edu/VDSL2/index.html but I've no experience of those at all.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more specific help but post back with any questions and I'll try my best to answer.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

This question might be better asked on the router forum.  The fact that this is a business user does not (I suggest) have any bearing requiring the post to be here.  A decision to move it though will be one for the mods to make...

socialshazza
Hooked

didn't know there was a business forum .. feel free to move it as long as I can find it obviously Smiley

socialshazza
Hooked

fantastic .. thanks .. I am happy with the openreach modem so as long as I can find something that does all the other bits .. one of the issues I had with BT was i had to use their hardware as they couldn't support my static ips with a 3rd party .. I would be tempted to have a firewall appliance .. as long as it didn't cost body parts ..

thanks again ..

socialshazza
Hooked

@MisterW - just checked out the billion ones and it looks like the Billion 8800NL R2 will do exactly what I need as it has a one to one nat mode to assign external ips and its less than 60 quid !!

thank you SO much for your advice .. I will grab one and give it a whirl

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@socialshazza if you haven't already gone with the 8800nl , then have a look at the 8800AXL R2 http://www.billion.uk.com/product/vdsl/8800AXL.htm , slightly more expensive but does have a gigabit switch and dual band wifi. From what I can see in the manual it also seems to have the one-to-one NAT option.