cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rediculous charge yet again by Plusnet!!!

gordon39uk

Rediculous charge yet again by Plusnet!!!

I requested a move of my phone and Business Broadband option 3 to my new address to get a phonecall telling me i would be charged £67.00 for this move! not a chance im paying this. When i moved to my present address i was charged £49.99 which i grudged taking into consideration there was a BT box in my house and a BT line coming into my house. Now 1 year on im being told i will be charged £67 plus vat for my new move! Whatever happened to customer loyalty. Having been on BT website i have been quoted £130 for installation with a discount of £130 so in actual fact no charge. Virgin media also make no charge. If Plusnet are not willing to compromise on this then i will have no alternative than take my service elsewhere.
gordon
11 REPLIES 11
prichardson
Grafter

Re: Rediculous charge yet again by Plusnet!!!

Unlike your original installation of phone service which was conducted against a residential package, we will now be installing a "Premium" line (a suppliers term with residential lines operating as "Basic").
This comes with the support and service levels appropriate to a business grade service.
From what I see from the screenshot attached, it appears to show the consumer product prices from BTs website. Unfortunately I cannot speak of the business installation costs direct, but have you checked the corresponding portions of the site for these fees?
gordon39uk

This may very well be a residential quote from BT but i can upgrade at a later stage. TalkTalk have a charge of £30 for new installation of business broadband. Virgin media have no charge for new line install with business broadband and phone. My point, £67 + vat no thanks i think i will be taking up with another company.
gordon
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: gordon39uk
Virgin media also make no charge.

I thought Virgin was a domestic-only service, with all business use actually prohibited.  Lips_are_sealed
Edit: I see they do, as a separate service, priced appropriately, and:
What exactly does installation involve?    Installation involves an on-site engineer who'll install your telephone, internet connection and equipment. If necessary, he'll replace or upgrade your existing modem/router with a business grade model. One-off installation charges are £49 (if we already have a network connection in your office) or just £99 (if we don't)

So that's probably a £99 installation charge...... Wink
prichardson
Grafter

Sorry to hear that,
You may wish to contact our customer options team on 08451406002 to discuss this further, which is something you will need to do if you intend to leave anyhow.
Just to point out though, that TalkTalk do not offer business services (it's actually point 1.1 of their terms of service). With Virgin Business, installation is £49 if they already have infrastructure to the property and £199 if thy don't.
Installation and maintenance of a phone network does not unfortunately come cheap, which is especially true for a business were problems need to be kept to a minimum, though preferably none at all.
prichardson
Grafter

Sorry, it does appear to quote different price for Virgin, depending where on the site you look for new installs for what is essentially the same physical thing. So it will either be £99 or £199.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: P
TalkTalk do not offer business services

Are you sure? http://www.talktalkbusiness.co.uk/store/business-broadband/
fourfourdevon
Grafter

BT charge for new business phone line is
Your order total
£106.37(ex VAT)
Total installation charge
That's £127.64 including VAT
Plusnet looks like a bit of a bargain.
prichardson
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
Quote from: P
TalkTalk do not offer business services

Are you sure? http://www.talktalkbusiness.co.uk/store/business-broadband/

Nope, clearly not sure. I did look and that wan't obviously apparent. Though I do know they run a separate brand through Opal.
I see they charge £99 if attached via the BT network or free via theirs, though this will restrict speed and ability to migrate in the future.
gordon39uk

The drawback with Plusnet and BT is that BT place the Install charge on your first bill, plusnet do not allow this even for existing customers. Oh well.
gordon
AlFox
Grafter

Interesting discussion.
I've just moved to a new building just 500m from where I was previously. We renovated the new building so the original BT line was disconnected.
My wife was having a new business line (not PlusNet) installed and since Openreach install two lines I asked if I could just pay the cost of the connection at the exchange, not the £67 + VAT installation fee. This proved difficult to explain to PlusNet and impossible to set up on their system. So I had to pay the £67 +VAT for nothing!
prichardson
Grafter

In most cases the drop cable installed contains two pairs, but not always. Longer overhead spans, close proximity to trees and windy areas will often have a tougher single pair span put in.
From what you describe with your scenario, the installation fee would have been applicable, regardless of single or a multi-pair drop cable.
Whilst one pair will have been taken up for your wifes line, the span only links back to a pole and associated distribution point. From here, the second pair in that cable will unlikely even be attached to the BT network.
The installation fee includes the attachment and routing of this new line. It also requires line tests to be completed on installation, to benchmark the line (allowing comparison of data should a fault occur).
So there is more to it than just attaching at the exchange.