Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-contracted my connection - All my connection settings have reset

mattewan
Grafter

Re-contracted my connection - All my connection settings have reset

Hello,
I contacted support recently to re-contract my broadband because I was paying Market 1 exchange prices even though I'm now connected to a market 3 exchange.
This is see my bill go from £42 a month @ 17.5% VAT to £33 a month.
Now what I didn't realise was that they class this as a product change.... so my broadband was changed from Broadband Option 3 to the same... Broadband Option 3.
This also activated "surf" which restricts ports.... I only realised this 2 days later, and turned this off.
At this point I was worried about my static IP, so I checked this, and as I now suspected... it has changed from "static" to "dynamic". This is a major PITA for me.... as my static ip is used in about 20 domains A records, it will involve change ns records at registrars, and remote servers I connect to via SSH only allow access from my IP.
I changed back to "static" ip, but doing so gave me a different static ip than what i previously had. At this stage what I want, and really really need is to get my old static ip back into my account. Can this be done?
The IP address is still assigned to my router, as I have not rebooted the router since the change... So I know that know one else has the ip... but I'm worried that I may get disconnected soon.
Also, its worth noting... that customer service staff should warn customers about this. As from my point of view.... it was a billing change that had nothing to do with the service provided on my line.
I have a support ticket open under my account, but I'm posting here also just too see if anyone has had a simular experience and had it resolved. Its bank holiday monday tomorrow so I'm not sure when my ticket will be looked at.
12 REPLIES 12
chino
Grafter

Re: Re-contracted my connection - All my connection settings have reset

mattewan,
From looking at the account change process, your account was changed to an old product and back again to re-contract you. The account change within the same sector (Business to Business or Res to Res) should not remove your IP address unless the default for that product is different (which it was not).
Regarding why the IP was removed and Surf was enabled, I will look into this today and I will also try and get your IP back, please don't reboot your router as you will lose your correct IP (your currently online with your correct IP).
Mark
chino
Grafter

Spoken to Networks - The process to provide with your IP back is well underway, this should be with change control within an hour (then I will push it through), finding out the cause will  take me longer.
mattewan
Grafter

Thank you for looking into this for me.
chino
Grafter

np - it should not have happened!
Still in change control but should not be too long before it back! (Your ticket reference is 38485643), your still online so hopefully you will not have any issues.
Mark
chino
Grafter

Ok an update.
Approved through change control and now should be minutes away before it fixed (I will let you know when its done).
The problem is that we tested your account change on an older version of workplace and it worked as planned, we do have one option where an agent could have removed the IP but I cannot fine proof of this.
Still digging but I will let you know its done.
Mark
PS Your connection is still up so it has not effected you (hopefully it will not).
chino
Grafter

Fixed  Roll_eyes Or so they tell me!
The IP shows correctly on the portal, the ip still shows incorrectly on our radius but I have been informed that if you disconnect and reconnect you will be given the correct IP address.
Still cannot find out what has happened unless it was agent error.
Mark
PS The Surf component would have not blocked any ports from what Bob has informed me but you would have been pointed to a different gateway, either way it should be fixed - any issues, let me know.
mattewan
Grafter

Hello,
Thank you for chasing this up.
The ip address doesn't have any rdns attached to it yet... but im guessing this is down to dns TTL, and will fix itself over the next few hours.
I need to work remotely tonight, so I can't risk rebooting the modem until I get home.
As for affecting my service... There has been no disruption to my service due to the ip change, which is why I chased it up straight away just incase the modem lost sync, so no worries about affecting any of my work... because it didn't Smiley
I will let you know later tonight, or tomorrow morning if my ip changes when I reboot the modem.
Thanks again.
Matt.
mattewan
Grafter

Okay,
Pressure is on now. Rebooted the modem and got the new IP.... rebooted it again... still new IP.
It is night time now so its not too much of an issue, my email is down as a result, but this is going to cause me major problems in the morning.
At this point, I will need to know whether I am actually getting this ip back or not, if its likely I'm not then I need to know sooner rather than later, as its going to cause me about 2 hours work to change all my dns records on my servers and at my registrars, as well as firewalls on remote servers to allow my new ip access.
My other concern is that, if this is still incorrectly assigned to me, then is it up for grabs by someone else?
Thanks.
Matt
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Morning Matt,
Can you try a reboot of your router now and that should pick up the correct IP. Let me know if it doesn't.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mattewan
Grafter

Hey
A reboot of the modem this morning has fixed the issue, my old ip is back.
Thanks!
chino
Grafter

Matt,
Sorry about that - I can see what Chris has done (lesson learnt for both me and Networks).
Chino
mattewan
Grafter

Thanks,
It wasn't a big issue, as it was fixed pretty quickly this morning.
Lesson learnt for me too.... reboot my router during working hours, not at 2am heh.
Thanks again, to you and everyone else that sorted this out.
Matt.