cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public IP

sg4rb0sss
Hooked

Public IP

Trying to work out if Plusnet support the setup I need.  After speaking to Plusnet, they recommended that I should use the fourms to ask questions about my account, so here I am (absolutely cracking business support, 1/10).  I've illustrated the setup I want to achieve below.  My question is, I want a /30 behind my router, which goes to my firewall (a standard business network setup).  Then I'll need a public IP on my router's WAN interface.  Simple stuff, but Plusnet haven't got a scooby doo what I'm on about.  Do they support this, and if so what special words do I need to use to communicate in a way they understand.

LAN  ------  Firewall ------i want a /30 here-------Router--/32 Public IP--------------ISP

17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Public IP

@sg4rb0sss - First off I’m not a business service user, but like Plusnet support I’m confused as to your requirements. If you’re wanting a /30 subnet then you can apply that to the router’s LAN interface.

sg4rb0sss
Hooked

Correct. However for it to be publically routable, you need the ISP to route the public /30 via the /32,

Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you mean by publically routable? If you're wanting the devices on the /30 to be accessible from the internet then put the /30 LAN in a DMZ.

sg4rb0sss
Hooked

Yes, the /30 should ideally be on the firewall, which is what I've drawn.  Plusnet inform me, that getting a /30 works is that they can only provide a /30 on the WAN side of my connection (i.e. where I have shown in my post, where the /32 is).  That is exactly what I don't need.

sg4rb0sss
Hooked

I meant to write, "the way that getting a /30 works is, "

sg4rb0sss
Hooked

Mook, let me get you thinking about this properly ok, because you don't appear to fully understand the problem. If Plusnet provide me a public /30, and I configure it on my firewall, that's fine okay.  When I configure the PPP session on the router, Plusnet have then informed me that I would need to use that public /30 on the WAN interface. 

Do you now see the very simple problem?

sg4rb0sss
Hooked

All I need, is what I originally asked in my first post.  And I can't understand why nobody at Plusnet seems to ever am heard of this setup.  As a network engineer whos worked both in an ISP & and branches, the setup I've asked for in my first post is how every single company I've ever helped has set this up (all be it with larger subnets).  I can't understand why Plusnet are making it difficult,

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sg4rb0sss, I’m a software engineer not a network engineer, so from your #7 post I can see the logic as to why the /30 would be applied to the WAN as you’d need an IP for your WAN and one for Plusnet’s Gateway.

Your original configuration I can easily replicate here and I don’t need Plusnet’s intervention to do it as anything on the inside of the WAN is my responsibility so doing what you want is very doable as I see it.

Also, what do you mean in #6? A /30 or .252 provides a network address, two hosts and a broadcast.

As for seeing the ‘very simple problem’, no I can’t, so as you’re the networking guy I'd appreciate an explanation of what I’m missing as I can’t see it for the forest of CAT5’s.

Taking the addressing out of it what exactly are you trying to achieve?

sg4rb0sss
Hooked

A globally routable network on the WAN interface of the ASA

Anonymous
Not applicable

Isn't that what you'd get if you used a DMZ. Maybe you could ask on the Cisco forum if you are using an ASA.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

First , you need to convince PlusNet to provide you with multiple static IP's. That's getting very difficult these days. You used to raise a ticket to request it but with the ticket system being largely replaced with chat, I'm not sure how you would go about it now!.

Then you need a router that can be configured for a public routed subnet. I'd be pretty sure that the current Hub one cant do that.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

legume
Rising Star

@sg4rb0sss wrote:

Correct. However for it to be publically routable, you need the ISP to route the public /30 via the /32,

I don't really understand this bit, but then it's years since I had a /29 (not Plusnet) and I can't remember every detail.

Maybe you mean the ppp interface on the router gets your first IP address and shows the mask as /32?

I assume you have a proper router and not some locked down free home thing.

IIRC what I did was turn off nat/dhcp , duplicate the wan(ppp) address on the lan interface with (for you) a /30 mask (replacing the "normal" private address/subnet.

Guessing here, what you should do next is put your other public ip address with a /30 mask on the firewall wan facing nic and set it's default route to be via the address you set on the router.

I assume here that the router automagically sets its own default route to be via ppp.

Then set up nat on the firewall.

TBH it was a long time ago so above may be somewhat useless.

FWIW it was possible on Enta to use all 8 of my /29, so maybe you can have 4 rather than 2 addresses. You wouldn't be able to use the above set up to do it, though.

IIRC, just as a test, I did it using snat on the router with everything else local. Another way would be to cook up multiple /32 host routes so the addresses could live elsewhere - but that's getting away from the "proper" set up you asked for.

Edit - ugh, change some  /32s to the 30s I should have written in the first place.

sg4rb0sss
Hooked

Don't worry all.  This was a question to see if you have to ask Plusnet for something in particular to get a publically routable subnet on the inside.  Literally that's all I needed to know, the rest is easy.  I guess my answer really is, that they don't actually facilitate it.  I'll just wait for the contract to expire and renew elsewhere.

Thanks anyway!

sg4rb0sss
Hooked

And Mook, no, the answer to my question about Plusnet's lack of services does not lie in the Cisco forums lol.