Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process for transfering out a DNS domain name

FIXED
silentmonkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Process for transfering out a DNS domain name

I need to transfer a domain name from PlusNet to another registrar as PN have no way of adding the Service or TxT records needed to support Office365. (How they can call this a business service with out this feature I do not know!)

I plan to do this over the bank holiday weekend as I need to make sure there is minimal down time as this is moved over so I have a couple of questions

1) Is an EPP/Auth code required for a .co.uk domain name and if so at what point, after I click "Transfer Out", will it be created?

2) At what stage in the process does PN stop answering queries for <mydomain>.co.uk?

3) How long will the whole process take?

4) Am I able to add the records in at the new registrar prior to the switch over so that we hit the road running

I'd be grateful if anyone could share their experiences in doing this. I've seen some of the horror stories on this forum. I'm hoping they are the exception rather than the rule.

Also can anyone advise on a registrar to transfer too. I'm thinking Godaddy or 123Reg.

Thanks in Advance.

14 REPLIES 14
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Process for transfering out a DNS domain name

The automatic transfer out process is broken - you'll need someone like @bobpullen to do it manually for you.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you'd like to move your domain from us

1) Is an EPP/Auth code required for a .co.uk domain name and if so at what point, after I click "Transfer Out", will it be created?

We'll need the IPS tag of your new provider to complete the transfer.

2) At what stage in the process does PN stop answering queries for <mydomain>.co.uk?

I believe this is done straight away.

3) How long will the whole process take?

As jelv has advised the automated process is a bit broken so it doesn't complete the process as well as we'd like. I've raised a ticket. If you'd like to go ahead just reply to it with the requested info and we'll get it sent to the relevant team.

4) Am I able to add the records in at the new registrar prior to the switch over so that we hit the road running

I'm not entirely sure, it may be worth asking your new registrar that.

I'd be grateful if anyone could share their experiences in doing this. I've seen some of the horror stories on this forum. I'm hoping they are the exception rather than the rule.

If we complete the process manually it should be smooth.

Also can anyone advise on a registrar to transfer too. I'm thinking Godaddy or 123Reg.

That's not something I can advise on. Mostly because I've never had any personal experience on choosing a registrar. I'm sure one of the community may be able to advise further.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If we complete the process manually it should be smooth.

When I transferred my domain out last year I'd seen posts about it not working and posted on here to get things done manually. Email was being received in my new mailboxes on AAISP within an hour of asking for the domain to be moved out - but I had been able to do preparatory work on AAISP.

I moved my domain and email before I ordered the migration to ensure continuity.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
silentmonkey
Rising Star

Thanks for this Anoush

It's not my domain name I need to move but one of my customers. Shall I raise a ticket on their behalf under their account and refer it to the one you have raised for me? I would like to start this process on Friday at 17:00 and I need to have it completed by first thing Tuesday to minimise the impact on Web and email traffic. Will anybody be there over the Bank holiday weekend to help complete the manual process?

I'll create an account on the new registrar tomorrow (Tuesday) in preparation ready to receive the transfer in.

PS I'd love to keep the registration here as it would all be in one place but unfortunately you cannot add the records we need to support our migration to Microsoft Office365

silentmonkey
Rising Star

Thanks Jelv for your insight into this and your help in general on these forums. I've been a Plusnet customer since 1999 but I feel very frustrated with PlusNet of late. They appear to have grown to rapidly for their platform. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@silentmonkey wrote:
Shall I raise a ticket on their behalf under their account and refer it to the one you have raised for me?

Ask them to raise a ticket on their account with the domain name and IPS tag, then PM me their username or ticket number.

@silentmonkey wrote:
I would like to start this process on Friday at 17:00 and I need to have it completed by first thing Tuesday to minimise the impact on Web and email traffic. Will anybody be there over the Bank holiday weekend to help complete the manual process?

The relevant team aren't in the office at a weekend, and unlikely to be in over bank holidays. I'd say we'll need to allow 3 full working days for the ticket to be picked once we send it over there. I won't be able to guarantee that a delay may not occur though but we'll do our best to make sure it's smooth.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
silentmonkey
Rising Star

I'm going around in circles now on the Help and Support pages trying to raise a ticket. I can no longer find the link to raise a ticket/question. Can someone point me in the right direction.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Does this work? -
https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=wizard&page=22987&wizard_id=38

FWIW, I'm fairly certain there are ways to arrange the O365 DNS without TXT records. It does involve some downtime though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

silentmonkey
Rising Star

Thanks for the link Bob, that worked. Is there any reason why it's no longer easy to find on the Help & support pages?

silentmonkey
Rising Star

Hi Bob

With regards to O365 DNS requirement: Yes the domain ownership test can be completed using MX records but if you want to take advantage of auto configure for Outlook or auto enrol devices into MDM you need to add service records and TXT's are needed to add Sender Policy Framework (SPF) records for mail domain verification when using Exchange Online.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Good point well made.

Regarding the ticketing system, the operational choice is to have most queries pushed to the phone or chat these days. Could still probably do with being tidied up a bit though Embarrassed

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

bobpullen wrote:

.......the operational choice is to have most queries pushed to the phone or chat these days.

OK.  But CHAT is currently 'non operational'.  @bobpullen

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Granted, doubt it will stay that way though, so the original intention stands Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

silentmonkey
Rising Star

Fix

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Many thanks to all involved. Transfer over was done as requested on Friday afternoon and was seamless. It also appeared that PN was still answering queries until I updated the DNS servers at Godaddy to use theirs. I managed to add all the records needed in less than 5 minutes so minimal down time.

It's good when a plan comes together. Thumbs_Up