cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a Buisness Land Line Number

rodelta176

Porting a Buisness Land Line Number

We want to be able to port a phone number from an existing BT line and account to a different Plusnet line at the same premises. I have been told that this possible with a 99.9% chance of success for the cost of £35.85 + VAT. Previously I have been told that we could pay £144 + VAT with a 100% a guaranteed chance of the number being ported. Now I am being told this second option is no longer available.

Is there a way guaranteeing the porting of a business number from an existing BT line and account to a different Plusnet line at the same premises?

4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Porting a Buisness Land Line Number

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.

May I seek clarification of your need?  Is sounds as though at present you have two phone services to the same premises...

A. A BT phone service

B. A plusnet phone service and broadband

Correct?

You want to move number (A) to line B ceasing service A losing number (B)?

It might be simpler to do a service move of B to line A as a takeover, retaining the number (A).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

I'm not sure why you'd have been advised to pay £144+VAT to guarantee a renumber being successful.

Once the existing BT line has been ceased, the number should be made spare within 24 hours then we should be able to use that number to renumber your line for £35.85+VAT. It's not guaranteed because there are various variables in the process.

For example, if the rangeholder of the number isn't BT then once the number is ceased, it'll be difficult to get the number back on to the BT network. You can check the rangeholder here: https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

If the rangeholder is BT, there's a fair chance it'll go smoothly but unfortunately I wouldn't like to make any guarantees still.

Alternatively, if you contact our house moves team on 0800 013 2632 we should be able process this as a reprovide by ceasing the line with Plusnet and taking over the active service from BT retail. This method will probably be a bit safer.

Feel free to let us know on here if you decide to go ahead and we'll be happy to keep an eye on things for you.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rodelta176

Thank you for your replies.

It seems the best way to proceed is to transfer the BT line "Line A"  to Plusnet.

Then when "Line A" is safely in Plusnet's hands do what Plusnet call a donor re-number to transfer the number from "Line A" to "Line B".

A technicality apparently can be whether the lines are on the same cluster at the exchange, if not Plusnet have to place an extra order with BT.  

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Be cautious - moving the line to Plusnet will involve taking out a contract ... which I guess you do not want to do?

If you (in effect) want to loose line (B) I still think a "house move" of B to A (taking over A) is your best option.

Whatever, COTS (customer retention aka I'm thinking of leaving) ought to be able to offer the right options.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.