cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Broadband speed.

johnolive

Poor Broadband speed.

I am a new customer having been activated on the 30th October.
Could someone please give my IP Throughput  a  nudge as after completing three BT Speedtests I find that my speed is not what it shoud be? I have tried disconnecting and reconnecting my Wireless router twice and the latest Speedtest this afternoon gives the undermentioned results:-
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 7000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  8096 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 883 kbps
On the two previous tests the actual IP Throughput figure was 888 kbps and 447 kbps. All the other figures were identical to the above.
Kind regards,
Johnolive
10 REPLIES 10
James
Grafter

Re: Poor Broadband speed.

Hi there,
Your profile is showing as being on 7000Kbps at both our end and at BTs.
Our network is in a state of imbalance currently following a rather large outage on one of our centrals at the weekend.  As such, we're doing some balancing at 5pm.  Can you try and run another speedtest later on today and let me know if you see an improvement?
It is quite possible that you are on a central with a very large number of customers, causing your speeds to be poor.
johnolive

Dear James,
Thank you for your quick reply. I have been able to conduct a further BT Speedtest this morning at 10.24 and the figures are identical with my previous ones except for the IP Throughput which has risen slightly to 913 kbps from 883 kbps.
I will look forward to seeing if you can suggest how this can be improved in the light of what you said about the imbalance of the network.
Kind regards,
Johnolive
James
Grafter

Hi johnolive,
Could I possibly ask you to try rebooting your router and running another speed test?
Your connection wasn't dropped yesterday as a result of the maintenance work that was performed yesterday, so I'm curious as to whether or not the gateway that you are connected to will still be suffering (although I hope not).
You can see which gateway you are ocnnected to here:
http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway
We also have our own speed tester now based down in London, which will be a lot less hassle than the BT Speedtester:
http://mybroadbandspeed.co.uk
johnolive

Dear James,
Thank you for your reply. I have, as you suggested, rebooted my router and conducted the tests you detailed.
I am connected to Telehouse North Juniper 2, known as ptn-ag2, and there has been a good increase in my download speed according to the Plus Net Speedchesker which gives:-
Download speed 2763 kbps  Upload speed 376 kbps
I will reboot my router again after a few days and then make some further checks to see if there is any further improvement which may be forthcoming.
Many thanks for your help which I appreciate.
Kind regards,
Johnolive.
johnolive

Dear James,
Further to my previous Post of this afternoon I though that I should conduct a further BT Speedtest, and I was somewhat surprised to get the following results:-
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 7000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  8096 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 178 kbps
This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.
Please wait whilst you are redirected to undertake a second test.
You now have two choices-
If you wish to carry out further tests and you are competent to make changes to your ADSL system configuration, then please click on 'Continue' button.
If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.
I would have thought that the BT Throughput should have approximated the 2763 kbps obtained from the Plus Net Speedchecker. I did not try to do the further test as outlined and in the circumstances I should welcome your guidance as to which results are correct.
Kind regards,
Johnolive
James
Grafter

Hi there,
If you run a normal speed test straight after doing the BT one, what results does it give?
I'm rather surprised by that result.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: johnolive

I am connected to Telehouse North Juniper 2, known as ptn-ag2, and there has been a good increase in my download speed according to the Plus Net Speedchesker which gives:-

How do you find out where you are connected?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Clicking the following link will display the gateway you are connected to:
http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/
This is provided by the Plusnet Usergroup.
David
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks for that spraxyt. 
Since your advice before I went to the US I am still managing to get speeds of 5Mb - 5.5Mb but haven't forgotten your offer to try further adjustments on my router. Will this improve things things a lot and will it be easy to do?
BTW, what happened to your 'bright spark' award?
artmo.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Hi artmo,
It's not difficult to change the MTU though there are pros and cons of doing it.  Rather than high-jacking this thread would you like to start another one (in Broadband Help rather than this forum) and I'll answer there?
I'm still a Bright Spark but after joining the PUG core team I chose to display that status and only one can be shown.
David
David