Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet - BT Charges

MadPanther
Grafter

Plusnet - BT Charges

Hi

I've been with PlusNet a few years now on a business account with enhanced care.
Just before Christmas I had an issue that my speeds dropped from 68 to 52 Down.

Plusnet asked me to do all the usual checks from the master socket and then arranged an engineer visit.

The BT guy who turned up tested the connection and said it was slow.
He proceeded to do a DLM reset and the speed increased to around 59 down. He told me that was the best I could expect and that was it.

He put the master socket back together did another test which was virtually the same and then left.

Plusnet are now billing me £144+VAT as the engineer said the issue was due to internal cabling.

Can anyone advise how I can contest this.

When the engineer arrived no internal cabling was connected.
He was working on the master socket and he got the same slow speeds. How can that be my fault.

I've raised a ticket with plusnet who have just said 'this is what the engineer has said' the charge still stands.

I'm open to any advise.. if Plusnet read these forums, I can provide the ticket number.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Plusnet - BT Charges

Do you have a filtered faceplate on the master socket?

Is there usually any extension wiring connected to the master socket?

If the problem was originally due to internal wiring, unfortunately, the way the DLM system works, is that it might not immediately allow the speed to increase once the internal wiring (if any) was disconnected. So the speed improvement would only be apparent after the DLM reset.

MadPanther
Grafter

Hi

My faceplate looks like this:

http://phil.lavin.me.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/inside-fttc-faceplate.jpg

(Not my actual one but it is the same)

I've always used the internal Krone strip to connect to, during testing and prior to BT visiting that cabling was removed and I was connecting to the top filtered socket.

Thats it, no other cabling is connected.

Thanks

MadPanther
Grafter

Any Plusnet Managers visit these forums ?
Any chance you'd contact me regarding this ?

I've asked via chat this be raised as a complaint, which doesn't seem to have happened.
I've chased via a ticket and been told the charge still stands.

I'm disputing this charge. Regardless of what BT say there was NO internal cabling connected when the engineer visited.

Come on Plusnet, pickup the phone and talk to me.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

It sounds like you were using the DSL extension terminals when the problem started.

Then later, with the DSL extension wiring disconnected, and the DLM reset, the speed improved.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

It has also occurred to me that a "no fault found" outcome from an engineer visit would also be chargeable.

MadPanther
Grafter

All testing was done direct to the master socket, Not via any internal cabling.

BT tested direct on the master socket and confirmed the connection was slower than expected. They did a DLM reset and the speed came backup, not to what I had been getting but it did increase.

How can I be charged for that? Any internal cabling made no difference as it wasn't connected.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

@ejs wrote:

If the problem was originally due to internal wiring, unfortunately, the way the DLM system works, is that it might not immediately allow the speed to increase once the internal wiring (if any) was disconnected. So the speed improvement would only be apparent after the DLM reset.

I'll try explaining the above in another way:

Suppose I had a load of internal wiring that ruined my speed, which then I remove, but my speed doesn't improve, because the DLM has a very long memory. So I drag out an engineer. If the engineer does a DLM reset, that would improve my speed, since the problematic wiring has previously been removed. Then the problem in this hypothetical situation was my internal wiring, even though as it happened, I'd removed it prior to the engineer visit.

A single DSL extension socket shouldn't cause any problem if it's correctly wired using the correct standard of cable anyway.