cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet buisness fibre and Hive heating system

FIXED
dancingbear

PlusNet buisness fibre and Hive heating system

At home I have a PlusNet business fibre service with a block of fixed IP addresses. This is because I host a number of charity websites and hence need fixed IP addresses.

My setup is:

Fibre modem -> Plusnet router -> Firewall -> internal network (inc a Wifi access point)

I would like to install the Hive Heating system. But does anyone know if it will work with this configuration? Do I need to open additional ports?

I am also considering adding an Amazon Echo. Would this have issues as well?

Thanks for any advice.

Simon

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: PlusNet buisness fibre and Hive heating system

Hive should work fine, it connects to the Hive server and you communicate with it through that.

So no port forwarding required. I suspect that any communication with an Echo, from the internet, works in a similar way although I'm not totally sure.

Hope that helos

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi Simon, although I can't say for the hive system as I imagine you would have to open some ports if wanting to tweak from outside of the property. I do know from owning that the Amazon echo solely just needs internet access and no port forwarding is needed so should be a problem when adding one onto your network. 

Kind regards,

Ben

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@BD you don't need to open ports to tweak the Hive system from outside. You register the Hive system with the BG servers and then setup the Hive app on your phone to communicate via those servers with your Hive system. The Hive system us in constant communication with the servers and so any change you make via the app is automatically downloaded to the Hive system

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Fix

It sounds like the Hive system shouldn't have an issue with your home network also then if it's all operated via their servers rather than the device directly.
I hope setting up the Hive goes smoothly for you and I can't stress enough how much my Amazon echo comes in handy at home.

Kind regards,

Ben