kplahnet
Dabbler

PlusNet FireWall

Hello All
Question to PlusNet re Firewall
Is there any posability of allowing the end user to have
the option to open or close ports on the firewall
to suite there own needs.
When I refer to port I am refering to all 65536 ports.
The reason I ask this question is I look after 16 accounts
and we run servers on these accounts using some odball ports
and from time to time thay are moved.
Thoe we have full firewall protection and configeration
at our end it would be nice to have the same optoins at the PlusNet end.
Thankyou
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: PlusNet FireWall

This has been asked for before but PN have no immediate plans to make this available.
LiamM
Grafter

The reason is, because it would take so many different connection profiles.  Millions, in fact.  The firewall is essentially loaded onto the terminating gateway as a connection profile.  In order to allow customised port blocking / unblocking it would be necessary to load profiles with every single possibility.
Whether or not there is a way to load a custom profile for each subscriber I don't know, but the development time it would take far outweighs the benefits in my opinion.
So, I think it impossible with the current setup.  If you're all protected with hardware firewalls at the customer locations - then having another firewall at PlusNet's end would seem a bit overkill.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Liam
The reason is, because it would take so many different connection profiles.  Millions, in fact.  The firewall is essentially loaded onto the terminating gateway as a connection profile.  In order to allow customised port blocking / unblocking it would be necessary to load profiles with every single possibility.

Don't forget to set up port forwarding whilst you're at it. In fact you would only want to do some things at the customer side of the firewall [as provided on all/(most?) routers].

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."