cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PTR Question

consumerinsight

PTR Question

Hi there,
I have a question regarding PTR records.
We have recently switched to PN business broadband and have a static IP, our domain and email are hosted elsewhere and we have an 'A' record pointing to our PN static ip for email delivery.
Now I have been doing some tests and our PN static IP is pointing to xxx.plus.com which can cause potential mail delivery problems.
e.g.
Our mail server is mail.xxx.co.uk and resolves to 1.1.1.1. So 1.1.1.1 resolves to xxx.plus.com
Presumably I need to get it changed so 1.1.1.1 resolves to mail.xxx.co.uk (presumably not 'xxx.co.uk', omitting the 'mail.'?)
Many thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
prichardson
Grafter

Re: PTR Question

Hi consumerinsight,
This is something that can indeed be done. Please raise a support ticket quoting the IP address (were you have more than one static), that you would like the rDNS updating for this and quote the fully qualified domain name that the PTR record should point to.
This FQDN must point to the IP address already, as we will be unable to facilitate this until DNS points here.
consumerinsight

Thank you for the speedy reply!
Can you confirm that the FQDN needs to be mail.xxx.co.uk and not xxx.co.uk?
I have attached a copy of our 'A' record.
Thanks.
prichardson
Grafter

Yes,
One limitation is that we cannot use the root of your domain to set this up, so will need mail. or something else subtitle.