Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPP LCP Auth Failure

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: PPP LCP Auth Failure

Unfortunately not. The only options we've got is 6db or 9db for the upstream.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richi
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Roger that; thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problems Richi.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richi
Aspiring Pro

Well, here we are again. No PPP since lunchtime. DSL in sync, but no session with PPPoEoA nor PPPoA.

Plusnet blaming BTW and suggesting it'll be down for 11 hours.

This is the fourth time in as many months. I'm bored with the excuses (not to mention the music on hold).

We've lashed up an LTE hotspot, but we never had the need for Plan B when we were with Sky or TalkTalk Business.

Ticket is 171407860, but I've no idea why it would be closed, seeing as there's still no session.

richi
Aspiring Pro

Update: No PPP session for more than 17 hours

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Closing off one potential angle here - do you have a failed billing payment?

Superuser escalation

This topic has been escalated by one of the Superusers; please allow time for Plusnet to respond before commenting further.

Escalation does not imply progressing this matter will be given priority, nor that a different outcome will result.

Reason for escalation:  Request response

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

richi
Aspiring Pro

@Townman wrote:

Closing off one potential angle here - do you have a failed billing payment?

Good thinking, but no. The two CSC chaps both recognised a BTW fault that began at about 12:30 pm yesterday. One said it would be fixed within 5 hours, the other said 11 hours (it was actually fixed at about 5:30 am today, 17 hours after it began).

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks for the update ... sounds really odd ... not overly clear why you've had the problem a couple of times ... and were particularly prone to problems with PPPoA.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

richi
Aspiring Pro

NP. I'd love for the problem to go away, and for others to stop experiencing it as well.

To be clear, this is the fourth time I've had the problem since joining Plusnet in December 2017 (so roughly once a month).

As for the very frequent PPPoA timeouts (vs. PPPoEoA), I still don't know whether this is related. But my feedback to Plusnet remains: It should be investigated, because something's not working right.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @richi

I've just had a read through your full thread as it's been flagged up to me. 

I see that a note was added to your account yesterday after we advised you of an MSO in your area, I've double checked and it would have presented itself as an auth failure. 

According to BTW it was cleared at 23:30 and I do see a few drops this morning, however the connection came back up pretty much straight away and I can see an 8 hour session since:

There isn't anything further I could instigate from a faults perspective at this stage but your thread has my attention, I'm awaare of the history and happy to dive in if needed. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@adamwalker,

Thanks for picking this up ... given the recent history ... somewhat guilty of presuming more of the same, especially given the reference to a 'BTw' fault, rather than a BTOR fault.

@richi,

Something to watch for in the presence of a PPP authentication error ... do you have xDSL sync?  If not, its a different issue to the original one that started this topic.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

No problem Townman, why do you think I've presumed more of the same?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
richi
Aspiring Pro

@adamwalker and @Townman, thanks. Yes DMT stays perfectly in sync every time we lose the session.

In fact, 11:30 pm was only BTW's second estimate. It didn't come back until about 5:30 am. That's the 17-hour gap you see on your Radius timeline.

Although the symptoms are the same, I suspect this week's outage was a different problem from the previous three -- in this case, plenty of others on our exchange were also affected (BTW said 600+ subscribers). The fact remains that we're seeing far too many multi-hour outages where the PPP session drops and repeated attempts to re-authenticate simply timeout. 

We never had these problems at the same exchange with Sky nor TalkTalk Business (both LLU). Given the continued unreliability and Plusnet's inability/unwillingness to do anything about it, we're minded to migrate back to TTB -- even Sky would be better than this!

Naturally, we wouldn't expect to be charged for leaving mid-contract.

richi
Aspiring Pro

@adamwalker wrote:

I do see a few drops this morning 

The blip this morning was a scheduled reboot. The current schedule is Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 6 am.

richi
Aspiring Pro

@adamwalker wrote:

No problem Townman, why do you think I've presumed more of the same?

I think @Townman meant he had presumed it.