Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPP LCP Auth Failure

richi
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

PPP LCP Auth Failure

After a router reboot about 4 hours ago, I've had no internet. ADSL is syncing fine, but PPP/LCP doesn't seem to be authenticating.

I've tried resetting the router configuration, and using an alternative router. I also tried changing my Member password (and updating it in the router config).

Question 167210889 is open -- could someone please take a look to ensure this gets fixed asap? I'm concerned that JR couldn't see any authentication logs.

And any smart suggestions? Router log below...

Jan 1 02:47:15 daemon notice syslog: pppd:LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Jan 1 02:47:15 daemon notice syslog: pppd:Connection terminated.
Jan 1 02:47:15 daemon info radvd[1649]: attempting to reread config file
Jan 1 02:47:15 daemon info radvd[1649]: resuming normal operation
Jan 1 02:47:18 daemon notice syslog: PPP: Start to connect ...
Jan 1 02:47:18 daemon info radvd[1649]: attempting to reread config file
Jan 1 02:47:18 daemon info radvd[1649]: resuming normal operation
Jan 1 02:47:18 daemon warn kernel: netdev path : pppoa0 -> atm0
Jan 1 02:47:18 daemon notice syslog: pppd:Using interface pppoa0
Jan 1 02:47:18 daemon notice syslog: pppd:Connect: pppoa0 <-->
Jan 1 02:47:18 daemon err syslog: pppd:Couldn't increase MTU to 1500
64 REPLIES 64
richi
Aspiring Pro

Re: PPP LCP Auth Failure

Well, it came back at about 9am.

Frustrating, because it is the second time this has happened in as many months, but Plusnet seems to have no control or visibility into it. Could someone check that there isn't a problem with how my circuit is set up, please?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Glad to hear it's sorted.

I can't see any cause for it I'm afraid.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
richi
Aspiring Pro

It happened yet again last night. Not for as long, but it took several attempts to re-authenticate (DSL did not drop). Looks like 10 attempts, all but the last timing out after about 14 seconds each.

I get that PPP sessions can occasionally drop, say if a gateway dies, but it should re-auth far more quickly than this. This is third time in less than two months that I know it's happened, and there have probably been other occasions that I've not logged (based on mysterious multi-minute pauses in traffic).

What is the next step in resolving this problem?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you're still experiencing drops in your connection.

Our tests are showing the signal to noise ratio at 3db so I've increased it to 6db in the hope it'll help keep things stable. Can you monitor your connection and let us know how it goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richi
Aspiring Pro

This issue is nothing to do with the DSL layer. It's an authentication issue. I reject your request to "monitor"

Please investigate and fix the authentication issue.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Unfortunately as our tests aren't finding the cause of the problem, the next step we've got with BT Wholesale is to book an engineer visit.

But as the drops aren't frequent enough I wouldn't recommend that as it's likely the engineer will find no fault and a call-out charge applied.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richi
Aspiring Pro

LOL no, an engineer visit isn't going to help. What can you learn from your radius logs (just before 9pm yesterday)?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Here you go:

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richi
Aspiring Pro

That didn't answer my question. Let me try putting it differently: What was it that caused the first 9 attempts to fail at around 9pm Tuesday?

And what was it that caused all attempts to fail overnight between about 6:45pm Sunday and 9am Monday?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As above, our tests aren't finding the cause of the problem I'm afraid.

Is your router plugged into the test socket?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richi
Aspiring Pro

Might I respectfully suggest: If you don't know why your authentication service is failing so often, then you could sort out some instrumentation to diagnose the problem, just like I've now increased the log level on my router. Doesn't that make sense?

It reminds me of the situation a few years ago when some gateways were silently failing, Plusnet didn't know why, and the "solution" was to tell customers to reconnect, rather than actually solving the problem. This went on for literally months before something was done about it. It wasted your time, it wasted customers' time, and it did nothing for Plusnet's reputation.

PS, your question about my NTE5 (a mk.4) doesn't seem relevant, but if it makes you happy, I'll say yes Wink

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The diagnostic tools we use belong to our suppliers. It's not within our control to change I'm afraid.

If their line tests don't find an issue, the only option we have is to book an engineer visit.

However, if their line tests find an external issue, then they can raise a non-appointed task to investigate without access.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richi
Aspiring Pro

Again, this is nothing to do with the "line".

If what you're saying is it's BTW that runs the authentication servers for you, then let's get them to investigate that. Right? What am I missing?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

By line test I meant a broadband test, apologies for the confusion. Sad

Our suppliers broadband test isn't flagging any issues.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet