cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining a /29 block on Plusnet Business

squashstring

Obtaining a /29 block on Plusnet Business

I have recently moved over to Plusnet Business, partly due to setting up a new business which requires some static IP addresses for my firewall and DMZ servers (firewall/proxy, https/sftp, imap/smtp, sip/voip, vpn_main, vpn_backup). The Plusnet help page at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/understanding-your-ip-address/ states that it is possible for business users to obtain a block of IP address and to switch from dynamic to static by following these steps:

1. Log in to the Member Centre
  2. Go to Connection Settings
  3. Click on Static IP
  4. To switch from a dynamic IP to a static IP, click Activate your Static IP.

I do not see the Static IP option on this page, or any information about obtaining a block of addresses, so I suspect the help information is out of date.

So, how do I request a /29 static block for my business?

Thanks,

Paul

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Obtaining a /29 block on Plusnet Business

Hi @squashstring. There was a thread asking about this recently https://community.plus.net/t5/Business/Routed-static-IP-addresses/m-p/1829186#M4674

it directed the user here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/understanding-your-ip-address/

Do you have a router capable of handling a public routed subnet? 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

squashstring

Thanks @MisterW 

I had already found and read that thread, and ended up at the help page you linked, but I think the information is out of date as the facility to switch from dynamic to static seems to have been removed.

Yes - I do have a number of routers capable of handling the /29 allocation. I am currently using a BT Openreach modem to bridge the VDSL to Ethernet, and a MikroTik Cloud Core to handle the PPPoE connection and provide the firewall and other L2/L3 support for the internal networks. I plan to configure the MikroTik to add in support for the bridge/firewall for the DMZ.

I'm not using the supplied Plusnet router as it is far too restrictive - that shouldn't be a problem?!?

I think I'll give Plusnet Support a ring tomorrow and speak to a human about how to obtain a /29 block.

Cheers,

Paul

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi Paul,

You should only be able to add a single static IP through the portal though not sure why that’s not working. Sad

To request a block of IPs, does the info in the last FAQ “What's an IP block and how do I set one up” help? Let me know if it doesn’t allow you to raise a ticket.

“To get an 8-block IP:

1. Go to the Help Assistant and select IP Addresses
  2. In the text box, let us know why you need an 8-block IP
  3. Click Send your question to the support team and we'll be in touch”

Cheers

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@squashstring my reason for asking about the PN. router was that it would have been a problem if you were!

The PN router can't support a public routed subnet. Sounds like you have the kit to support it though and there is no problem using your own equipment.

Its just a matter of finding the procedure to request the /29 now. Its not a very common request so you might not get someone in Customer service who knows about it. If @Anoush s link doesn't work then drop him a PM, he will sort it...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

If you private message, please direct it to me at @Gandalf rather than my personal account @Anoush. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet