Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number port.

sr01
Hooked

Number port.

Hi,

I'm switching from PN FTTC business to PN Full Fibre broadband only residential on Thursday.

I understand that my copper line will be disconnected once the new fibre line is installed, and that I'll lose my landline number.

I plan to port my landline number to my Vonage account.

When is the best time to begin the port? I don't want any disruption to my FTTC line before Thursday.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Re: Number port.

I think should start the port after your FTTP installation, you have 30 days after it's disconnected to port it iirc
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
sr01
Hooked

Thanks. This is what I've read on these forums.

However, PN support told me to start the port today.

They also told me I could keep the FTTC account running for an extra month (as I requested), but I later found out that is not possible.  They seem to be giving out poor advice at the moment to business customers effected by the business closure.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 408

@sr01  as @dvorak says 'you have 30 days after it's disconnected to port it iirc ' so dont start the port until your FTTP has been installed otherwise it will upset the FTTP order.

I plan to port my landline number to my Vonage account.

I dont know about Vonage but we do know that some Voip suppliers are having difficulty getting their heads around being able to port non-active numbers. In a recent example, Sipgate failed dismally, simply never actually raising a port request (due to their checks showing the number as not active) but still blaming Plusnet for refusing the port!! At the moment the only confirmed ports of non-active numbers have been to A & A (unless someone know different??)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

@MisterW wrote:

I dont know about Vonage but we do know that some Voip suppliers are having difficulty getting their heads around being able to port non-active numbers.

I wonder whether the fact that customers are leaving Plusnet, but the phone number range holder is BT is causing confusion?

I know phone numbers are supposed to be held such that there is a 30 day grace period for porting them after a cease, but I don't know how that works in practice. When Plusnet cease a number does BT (the range holder) actually know to keep it available for porting?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

AIUI all BT wholesale numbers are ported in and out via the BT porting team under the generic BT CUPID (Communications provider Identity code) 001, so there shouldnt be any confusion. They must be following the new procedure as we have seen successful ports of ceased numbers. What seems to be the problem is that some voip providers systems are (sometimes?) not even attempting the port because the number is showing as not active.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

So are there only 2 states for a number - "active" or "inactive" - or is there now a "in limbo" state where a number is in the 30 day period?

I assume that previously an inactive number could not be ported as it didn't "belong" to a particular customer, but now the association with a customer should persist for 30 days - so the number isn't active, but it isn't inactive either.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I believe there's a third state 'on-hold' where the CP retains the number for a period after ceasing before returning it to the Rangeholder. I suspect ( but dont know for sure ), that this period has been extended to the 31 days to allow number porting.

AIUI as long as the CP still retains the number then its possible to port it.

In reality, where the rangeholder was BT i.e number originally issued by BT, then its always been possible to get a ceased number back, since there's no difference between 'on hold' and 'not active', the number is still 'owned' by BT. It was purely a matter of direct communication with the BT porting team.

sr01
Hooked

Vonage managed to port my number after it stopped working once the FTTP went live.

I mentioned the 30 day rule in the application.