cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My two pence worth . .

rslsys
Grafter

My two pence worth . .

Not had to come on here for a long time, seems to make woeful reading.
I too have experienced speed degradation over the last couple of weeks. Router reporting a sync speed of 4.8Mb actual download speed 120Kb!
Report the fault, usual faceplate, router, filter rigmarole, BT rock up concur there is no fault on the line.
Two more new routers (that will be numbers nine and ten then, I work in IT so have access to resources!) and still 120Kb.
Call back to be told it will be looked at again in 24 to 72 hours.
Is this PluNet's idea of a business grade service?
Cheers
Keith
4 REPLIES 4
Kev
Grafter

Re: My two pence worth . .

Hi Keith,
I have tested your line and have found the reason for your slow speeds, I have updated your ticket with the results.
I apologise for the delay in identifying the cause.
rslsys
Grafter

So why could this have not been determined on Monday?
When I called in I told support that I had a stable sync of 4.8Mb but a download speed of 120Kb (listen to the call recording!)
Apparently PlusNet then sent an engineer to deal with a disconnection issue, accordingly the engineer found absolutely no problem with the line.
I call again today and the penny drops with PlusNet that it is a speed issue I'm experiencing not a disconnection one and they will have to send an engineer again.
Now you have decided it is a profile issue and lo and behold it can be fixed with a profile re-set. During yesterday's call I asked about the possibility of a profile re-set to be told that had already been done. (Once again, listen to the call recording).
At least this mornings support operative had the grace to admit that PlusNet support is operating below expectations currently.
Cheers
Keith
Kev
Grafter

Hi Keith,
The reason why the profile was set so low would have been because the line was dropping, until that is fixed there is no point in removing any low speed profile. If we did remove it before the underlying cause has been resolved then the low profile would just be put back on again.
To be put on a 135 profile there has to be a fault to cause it, that is why the engineer was sent out, as I explained above removing the profile sooner would not have solved the underlying issue.
We aim to update any fault within 1 working day of getting an update and sometimes we do miss this but this is not a fixed service level agreement.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Keith,
As someone who works in IT, you will understand that these systems are complex and fixing them requires clear identification of the source cause of an issue.
The symptoms described could have several causes, some within the remit of PlusNET to resolve and some elsewhere.  A serious mismatch between synch speed and data speed can come from a couple of sources - local network connectivity, interference leading to a high line error rate or indeed a profile mismatch.
There are a number of reasons why profiles might be 'wrong' at the time of inspection.  20CN and 21CN services update changes to the profile differently and in different time frames.  It is possible for a manual profile update performed by PlusNET to be over written by a late (wrong) update from BTOR.  If you are in a 20CN service, the tools provided by BTw to ISPs to manage lines are known to be problematic resulting in change actions not always 'applying' correctly.
If looking from help in the forms, it is always useful to,post the information requested in the speed issues thread - see the link below.
Hope you are now sorted, however if you see further deterioration in speed then other post entail,causes need to be examined.  If you need help, do pop back and ask.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.