cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from virgin to Plusnet

FIXED
fragoo

Re: Moving from virgin to Plusnet

I've enrolled in the Forum as I have a problem and found this thread.  We live in Reading - so a major exchange I would think - and are thinking of switching from Virgin to Plusnet.  We want to keep the number we've had for 46 years and which was held by the previous occupier.  I admit  that a couple of digits have been added over the course of time but it's still basically the same number.  We subscribed to Virgin many years ago and were able to keep our number.  I phoned Plusnet oday - using my landline with that number - and was told in no uncertain terms that it's inactive (!?) and we can't switch it to a BT network.  We haven't cancelled with Virgin so why can't we use our existing number?  Needless to say I haven't signed up with Plusnet yet.  Any thoughts?

John_
Grafter

I was the same only a business line. Started off in the 50s then moved to virgin in the 90s keeping the same number. Now on Plusnet still with the same number.
It was down for a few hours when it changed over otherwise no problems.
fragoo

Hi John

That's good to know and what I hoped would happen looking at the Ofcom site and other forums, though experiences seem to vary and after the line is closed it seems that if something goes wrong you're basically stuffed if it doesn't work out.  I'll probably end up with a divorce if the number is changed!  Not sure Plusnet want my business as the person I spoke to in the sales team was adamant that it couldn't be done and didn't offer to go and find out or get back to me.  So, although reviews on CS are what attracted me, I'm not impressed with it so far. So now looking at EE and others.  I don't want TV as my Youview and Freesat recorders take care of this - particularly with the catchup etc. facilities which give me far more to watch than I could ever find the time to do.  I've looked for an online chat but so far this has not been available.  Maybe I'll try phoning again as the overall package is attractive and once I've got a BT line (back?) it should be OK if I ever wanted to move again.  Moving from Virgin will also lose my main email address, which I've started to sort out,. However, at the moment in order to keep the peace, retaining the phone number is the most important thing - more important than the price anyway!

Thanks again

Frank

John_
Grafter

I think the key is, don't cancel virgin until your new line is up and running.
As mine was phone only, I didn't have to speak to virgin at all. Plusnet took care of it.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @fragoo 

Sorry for the issues with retaining the telephone number you've got with Virgin Media while moving to us. Could you PM us your full address and the number itself so I can do a bit of digging into this and see if we're able to import it?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet