Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving House

MadPanther
Grafter

Moving House

Hi
I've currently got a BT phone line with Plusnet business fibre.

The new house is on the same exchange and has a working phone line.
What's the easiest and quickest way to move my number and fibre to the new house ?

Ideally I'd like to keep the line with BT & the Fibre with Plusnet.
Do I need to let BT know, or do Plusnet take care of it ?

Is it possible during the move to change to a consumer fibre package not a business one ?
I would need a static IP Address.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Moving House

Hi there!

That's all possible, just in case you're unaware you'd make a saving on broadband by having the line with us too. 

I can arrange for someone to give you a call to go through the options if you like?

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MadPanther
Grafter

Hi Adam

At the moment I'd like to keep the line and the fibre separate.

Can you advise how I do this and if I need to discuss with BT and yourselves.

Thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@adamwalker,

Managing expectations...

@MadPanther wrote:

Is it possible during the move to change to a consumer fibre package not a business one ?
I would need a static IP Address.

Can you clarify / confirm ... in a move from business to residential

• Does the customer HAVE to take a new account?  I seem to recall this being previously stated as necessary because the account packages cannot altered (rebuilt) ... though that might have been in the context of residential to business
  • If a new account is not required and the existing business account has a free fixed IP address, will that become chargeable on conversion to residential?
  • If a new account were not required would the business included options (e.g. included web space, free domain name) be retained as legacy items?

@MadPanther

Note that Plusnet T&Cs prohibit business use of a residential service...

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/terms/

2.1.3. use the services for personal use in the UK (so don't use the services to run your own business, but a couple of work emails or occasional home working are okay) and in accordance with our Acceptable Use Policy;

Also note that there's not a lot of difference between residential and business charges, but business gets 24x7 call centre support (which is less busy than the residential one) and (if your phone is with Plusnet) faster line fault response times.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MadPanther
Grafter

The big issue I have with the business package is gaming.
I have teenagers at home who have major issues gaming and I've been told this is due to the business package.

What would be idea would be a business profile 8am - 6pm and the rest of the time a home user profile.
However I don't think that is possible, so I may need to reconsider this.

MadPanther
Grafter

I work from home full time as an employee, I don't run a business from home.

Would this be allowed on the home user package ?

Can Plusnet advise on the best process when moving home.

Thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Clearly this is a PlusNET call but the T&Cs state “occasional work use”.

Setting aside the T&Cs the business service level is different, especially in respect of BTOR service SLA. Residential users should anticipate a minimum of 3 working days down time. Business users are likely to see next working day fixes. If working from home is what you do and how you earn your crust....

... may be the right answer is a get your kids a second line for their gaming needs?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MadPanther
Grafter

It's a shame no one offers a business class service, but with a home user profile evenings and weekends !

Ok so if I stay with my business account, how do I move my BT landline and Plusnet fibre ?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Does the customer HAVE to take a new account?  I seem to recall this being previously stated as necessary because the account packages cannot altered (rebuilt) ... though that might have been in the context of residential to business

From business to residential, or residential to business, it should be the same. The main difference is that going from business to residential will incur early termination fees.

If a new account is not required and the existing business account has a free fixed IP address, will that become chargeable on conversion to residential?

Likely so. There'd be a one of charge of £5.

If a new account were not required would the business included options (e.g. included web space, free domain name) be retained as legacy items?

It's unlikely I'm afraid.

Ok so if I stay with my business account, how do I move my BT landline and Plusnet fibre ?

I'd recommend getting in touch with our Business Customer Options team on 0800 013 2632.

They're open 9 to 5:30 Monday to Friday.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet