cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Recommendation

Waggers

Modem Recommendation

I'm using a Netgear FVS338 VPN Firewall and I need a modem that I can set into 'modem only mode' (or bridge mode) to pass PPOE to the FVS338 using PlusNet's business ADSL.
My Billion BiPAC 5200 won't work and I'd be grateful for any recommendations.
Many thanks,
Richard
4 REPLIES 4
mssystems
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Modem Recommendation

I suspect what you will need is a half-bridge, rather than a full bridge.  A half-bridge allows you to set the PPP user name and password in the modem.  Draytek have the Vigor 120 which should do the job but I have had mixed experiences with them.
You may be able to get your BiPac to work though. It may have a half-bridge mode already.  If not or if it does not work (some don't), it may  support ZIP-B.
Many (not quite all) ADSL routers will support a ZIP-B configuration.  You will need to get yourself 2 static IPs from Plus (which requires  a subnet with 4 IP addresses).  Assign  the WAN and LAN interfaces on the BiPac to use the first address - Yes, I do really mean you should duplicate the address on both interfaces.  Assign the second address to the WAN interface of your Netgear  and set the  default gateway on the Netgear to the address you assigned to the BiPac.
Waggers

Many thanks for the response.
I've tried full bridge and half bridge with my billion modem without success.  We have no problems at all with our BE connections but the Plusnet's don't want to know.
Rather than keep buying different modems to see if they work, I'm hoping that someone has already got a successful Netgear router setup and can tell me what modem they are using.
MrC
Grafter

OK I'm not using a Netgear but I'm currently using an old  D-Link DSL-320B in full bridge mode with a Linksys WRT610N (flashed with DD-WRT).
Waggers

Reluctantly, we've had to move the connection back to BE.  It was a cheaper option than buying different hardware on the off-chance one would work!