Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrated ADSL to Plusnet with upgrade to FTTC - got BT cease charge

cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Migrated ADSL to Plusnet with upgrade to FTTC - got BT cease charge

As the subject says.  ADSL broadband (over a BT line) was migrated to Plusnet (who use BT lines) then upgraded to FTTC.
The previous ISP has now invoiced for a BT cease charge of £32+VAT because BT say the line moved from DSL to LLU.
Is the previous ISP trying it on or have BT really charged them a cease charge for a line migration?
I have also raised a ticket 112112508.
6 REPLIES 6
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Migrated ADSL to Plusnet with upgrade to FTTC - got BT cease charge

I had a similar issue when I moved from BT Fibre to PlusNet, it took me 45 mins on the phone to BT to explain that none of the following points applied to my transfer, they even sent me an email acknowledging that I was moving. This email was the final straw that eventualy convinced them to give me the £30 back. The following is from BT's cease charge page, if BT was not your ISP, look for their terms and conditions:

Broadband Cease Charge
Change is ahead
From September 20th 2015 in certain scenarios when the cease charge applies, as laid out below, customers with fibre optic BT Infinity or Faster Broadband will pay £5.50 and customers on our standard BT Broadband (ADSL) will pay £31. These charges are compensatory and not subject to VAT.
What is the Broadband Cease Charge?
The Broadband Cease Charge is a charge raised in certain circumstances to cover the additional cost to BT of the work required within an exchange to recover equipment and amend records when a Broadband line is ceased.
When will the charge be raised?
This charge will be raised should you :-
1.Switch to a Cable provider (with a different network).
2.Switch to another Broadband provider without following the standard transfer process*.
3.Cease your Broadband completely.
4.Cease your Broadband and move outside of the UK.
When won't the charge be raised?
This charge will not be raised should you :-
1.Move home and you re-connect to BT Total Broadband via the homemover process.
2.Move home and we are unable to provide the service at your new UK address.
3.You are ceasing service due to bereavement or severe illness.
cjags
Aspiring Pro

The invoice from the previous ISP just says
"Following your recent broadband migration, we have just received notification that this migrated from DSL to LLU and as such has attracted a cease charge from BT, which we must pass on to you."
Which is nonsense (unless Plusnet are using LLU now).
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We placed the order as a transfer of both services, the orders were matched and we followed the correct process. I've replied to the ticket with a little more information for you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
cjags
Aspiring Pro

Many thanks for your prompt responses.
cjags
Aspiring Pro

Hi Chris.
BT still aren't giving up.
They want a screenshot from ECO...
New ticket 117347321 raised.
cjags
Aspiring Pro

Hi Chris.
BT are digging their heels in.
BT are upholding the charge as valid - this service was ceased and the cease fee is valid.
It appears Plusnet ceased the line by doing a cease and re-provide, which will unfortunately cease any underlying broadband service. This re-provide also included a simultaneous provide on an FTTC service for the same date, if the broadband had just been migrated then this wouldn't be the case. I believe Plusnet were unable to provide a screenshot from BT Wholesale because this would show a simultaneous provide tied to the line re-provide, rather than a migration from another provider.
I have raised ticket 118877878
As Plusnet are owned by BT, do you have a way to sort this internally?
Our old ISP and ourselves are getting fed up playing piggy in the middle so to speak.