Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line speed below 2Mbps - whereas router bandwidth is 3.8Mbps

tillydaff
Grafter

Line speed below 2Mbps - whereas router bandwidth is 3.8Mbps

Hi Plusnet,
Our broadband service has been a bit all over the place over the last week or so, with the wild weather we had. It was settling down, but today BT were doing a lot of work on a big stretch of our phone line ( our phone /broadband connection was down for several hours) - which we hoped might improve our speed, but tonight the download speed is 1.89Mbps, Upload is 0.36Mbps, Ping latency 61.25ms.  I tried doing the 'further diagnostics' test on BT wholesale speed test but it isn't working properly - just gives me the 'best effort' 1.9Mbps, and no info on the IP profile. So I don't know if they've restricted the line speed, or ??  Since the bandwidth for the router is currently 3.8Mbps, we should be able to get at least 2.8Mbps - which is what we consider a reasonable speed on our line. Could you please investigate and let me know what's slowing us down? Below are some stats from the Plusnet router which may help in the diagnosis. I did a quiet line test on the phone, and there's just a faint background hiss and the usual faint click every second or so from a nearby electric fence. Thank you!
Uptime: 0 days, 9:21:10
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3.776
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 1,99 / 1,99
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,5 / 18,1
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31,5 / 61,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 10,0 / 8,8
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 8 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -