cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Speed Issues

newtondeli
Grafter

Re: Intermittent Speed Issues

Just to provide a further update, after 2 further drops we're now getting speeds of 1/3 of what we were earlier. Sad

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Oh dear - rather looking like a d-side circuit issue or REIN.

There is a remote possibility that the ADSL jumper has been left in at the exchange.

Are you using the Plusnet supplied router?

Can you please post the line stats?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

newtondeli
Grafter

Still got the BT router hooked up at the moment, thought I'd see how it was with that first and if necessary (and it looks like it may be Sad ) switch over to the PN one so we can access the router stats etc.

Unfortunately I didn't capture the initial stats from when the upgrade completed, but current line stats below - 

BT Hub 6A

+084319+NQ71738874

SG4B1000E020

11-Mar-2020

0 Days, 3 Hours 41 Minutes 2 Seconds

18.92 Mbps / 32.26 Mbps

18826 / 37857

6.8 dB / 6.2 dB

24.1 dB

19.1 dB / 24.1 dB

0/38

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Fast Path

93 MB Uploaded / 157 MB Downloaded

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to me @newtondeli 

I'm sorry for the continued issues following the upgrade to fibre. I've tested your fibre service tonight and the tests are highlighting several problems (which may all be linked together). I always find that fault diagnostics is easier on fibre as a fault with a service is either more apparent when you're on fibre or goes away completely.

The tests are showing a "Dis one leg in Network" which indicates that one pair of the phone line is disconnected somewhere. We're also seeing a high resistance fault and a bridge tap, the last part is interesting because bridge taps are generally caused by faulty internal wiring (or star-wiring, which is an ancient form of wiring).

I understand you've tried plugging your router into the test socket which should rule out internal wiring as an issue, unless there's more than one 'master' socket within the premises - how many telephone sockets do you have?

In the meantime as the "Dis one leg in Network" is showing as what's known as a CE fault (Fault located between distribution point and customer apparatus) with no appointment required at this stage, I've raised this to our suppliers and we've been given an estimated response time of by 26/05/20 23:59:59 for an engineer to go out and investigate further.

I can't escalate the fault at the moment because our suppliers helpdesk have closed for the day but when they're back open tomorrow, I'll see what I can do to escalate this although it'd be an escalation on the phone fault, if we'd need to raise a broadband fault after, I'd have to raise a separate escalation which I'm happy to do.

I'm not on shift over the weekend but I am around tomorrow on Monday, I'll let you know as soon as we know more. Once we've got the fault fixed I'll be happy to look at providing you with a refund to cover the time you've paid for a service you've not had along with discussing a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
newtondeli
Grafter

Thanks @Gandalf - at least I know I'm not going mad if you are able to see these various faults!

With regard to the internal wiring, so far as I'm aware there's just the one master socket - the one which has been replaced by both BTOR engineers who have been out to us (most recently to one with an integrated faceplate filter). This is situated about 3m from where the line comes into the building, and we've no other wiring connected up to it, just the router plugged directly in. As mentioned previously, we don't actually use the line for calls as we have a VOIP service, so the only phone connection to the line is a failover from the voip system, again directly in to the master socket.

Ive just checked, and there's just the incoming line into the master socket, no extensions coming out of it, so fairly sure that's all we have,. 

Thanks for raising the fault, fingers crossed they'll be able to find and fix it this time! 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @newtondeli 

Ah it sounds like the bridge tap's probably a line issue in that case, aye we can definitely see a lot more issues now, problems that may have been there while you were on standard broadband but diagnostics didn't pick up.

I've attached a copy of the testing below (The suspected voice fault is the dis one leg in network):

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1613
Description Potential HR Joint detected on GEA service. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location CE
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 32.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 18.9 Mbps
Appointment Required Y
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue
Bridge Tap Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 412.4
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hmmm RFI detected ... which is of the ilk of REIN / SHINE!!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As an update I've got in touch with our suppliers and they've escalated the job to the patch lead engineer and what's known as the controls manager. Controls are a team who allocate engineers to faults. I'll check back after the response time we've been given but I've subscribed to email notifications on the fault report so I'll post back if I receive a response sooner.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @newtondeli We've received an engineer's report late yesterday afternoon and as @Townman predicted, the engineer fixed a fault on the D-Side (between the distribution point, normally the pole, and the cabinet, the green box in the road). Thumbs_Up

I've retested your fibre service and line tests are passing now with your router getting a download speed of 79.9mbps and an upload speed of 20mbps. There's also no bridge tap detected so I suspect that was due to a faulty D-Side cable. 

The tests are however still showing a high resistance problem, so I'd like to arrange (hopefully one final) broadband engineer to sort that out. Could you add a reply to your support ticket Here with when you'd be available for another visit?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I hope that someone undertakes a full review of the BTOR service history on this circuit. It appears that there is some possibility that the d-side issue has existed for a long time. The failure to resolve this has influenced the user to upgrade to a more expensive service in the belief that FTTC might fix the issue.

This has not been the case. In short the user has suffered financially due to BTOR’s failures to manage line faults properly. The BTOR exit test should have found and corrected the HR before departing from site.

I have bitter experience of BT leaving site when the exit test still indicated faults ... but testing from the property reported no issues. Surely if I as an end user am aware that a line can test fault free in one direction, but report a fault when tested in the opposite direction ... BT engineers must know it’s possible too?

newtondeli
Grafter

Hi again @Gandalf

The BTOR engineer who attended advises that as soon as he took hold of the cable between the pole and cabinet it snapped in his hand! So sounds like it was already badly damaged.

The connection stayed stable for a period of time, but today we’ve seen further drops - most recently about half an hour ago. The sync speed is still showing 80/20 on the router, but I get some really odd speed test results - using the BTW test it’s giving me a download speed of 142Mbps, so clearly not right.

Also having issues accessing certain domains today - I’m having to post this from my mobile, as from the PN connection I cannot access Plusnet at all. Very strange!

Is the high resistance fault you’re seeing likely to be causing these ongoing issues? The continued drops is particularly concerning, as that’s what we were trying to resolve in the first place.

Cheers
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @newtondeli thanks for the update.

It sounds like we're almost there although not quite as the high resistance problem would likely be affecting your connection. The obviously incorrect speed test result you've got there is probably the speedtester behaving a bit wonky. 

Could you reply to the ticket from your mobile possibly with when you'd be available for another engineer?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
newtondeli
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf,

I’ve got the BTOR engineer currently, but she’s saying there’s no High Resistance fault that she can find.

I’ve shown her the logs of the drops etc. and she’s continuing to investigate out at the pole and cabinet, but she’s not sure what else to try as it’s passing all of her tests.

We’ve had at least 3 drops today before she arrived, and that’s just the ones I noticed. 🙄
newtondeli
Grafter

A further, more positive update.

The engineer has been here almost 2 hours now, talk about comprehensive! And she’s sure she’s found the fault and repaired it - a perished cable inside a termination block which had been hidden inside the guttering! 😳

A sear she must have checked every millimetre of that cable today, absolutely cannot fault her at all - don’t know if you have a facility to pass feedback to BTOR, but if you do please pass this on for me.

🤞 That it fixes the issues we’ve been having for over 6 months. 🤞
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @newtondeli thanks for the updates. 

Really good to see the thorough investigation the engineer carried out and fingers crossed their efforts fixes this for good. I can't pass your positive feedback onto them unfortunately however I'd recommend filling out the 'thank an engineer' Openreach form here: https://www.openreach.com/thank-an-engineer-form to pass on your thanks.

Let me know how it goes over the next few days but I do hope this is sorted once and for all now. 😬

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet