Did you mean: 

Intermittent Speed Issues

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Re: Intermittent Speed Issues

Hi @newtondeli

I can see my colleagues in our faults team have updated your ticket here - please respond via the ticket and we can go from there. 

Thanks. 

newtondeli
Grafter

Openreach appointment booked for Monday AM.

We’ve had at least a dozen further drops this afternoon, making the connection practically unusable for business purposes. Half the time we can’t even get a card payment through because it drops before the auth is received.
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Glad to hear you've got an appointment booked in @newtondeli

Let us know if you need any assistance.

Thanks. 

newtondeli
Grafter

If any Plusnet staff happen to see this before our appointment tomorrow, is there any chance you could share an updated Radius output graph either here or on our open support ticket please?

Would just be useful to show the Openreach engineer the scale of the problem, and that it's still happening with similar regularity (I've counted more than a dozen this morning, and all I was doing was streaming a single radio station - no other equipment turned on apart from my laptop, and no other devices connected).

Cheers Smiley

WillF
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Hi @newtondeli, here's the latest Radius log we've got for your line.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will
 Plusnet Help Team
newtondeli
Grafter

Thanks @WillF 

The engineer has attended this morning, and agrees there's definitely been a fault as he witnessed the connection dropping.

His feedback was that the line itself was 'spot on' with no noise or other obvious issues. At our end he couldn't see anything that would cause this degree of fault, although he has swapped out the microfilter for an integrated faceplate to rule out any issues.

Exchange side he had intended to arrange an 'equipment swap' but then called to say we were on the last port on the MUX (probably means more to you lot than me) so the one way to arrange it would be to request a cease and re-provide. He's not done this, but has removed a cap that was on the line and 'reset' the port settings, and advised to continue to monitor it over the next week or so and re-report if the dropouts persist. 

I've not seen any issue for the past hour our so, and speeds look strong, but will be monitoring closely.

Current router stats - 

BT Hub 6A

+084319+NQ71738874

SG4B1000E020

11-Mar-2020

0 Days, 1 Hours 16 Minutes 3 Seconds

1.23 Mbps / 11.45 Mbps

1236 / 12408

5.4 dB / 6.2 dB

36.5 dB

20.3 dB / 36.5 dB

0/38

G_992_5_ANNEX_A

Fast Path

92 MB Uploaded / 28 MB Downloaded

UPDATE - 

Whilst I was typing that message out, it dropped yet again! Sad 

New router stats - 

BT Hub 6A

+084319+NQ71738874

SG4B1000E020

11-Mar-2020

0 Days, 0 Hours 2 Minutes 16 Seconds

1.24 Mbps / 11.42 Mbps

1256 / 12320

6.1 dB / 6.2 dB

36.5 dB

20.3 dB / 36.5 dB

0/38

G_992_5_ANNEX_A

Fast Path

195 kB Uploaded / 504 kB Downloaded

newtondeli
Grafter

Unbelievably since posting this the connection has dropped 3 times Sad

Frankly it's completely unusable, and having a considerable impact on our ability to run our business (which at a time where we've already had to restructure and have become reliant on internet and telephone orders is catastrophic).

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

"but has removed a cap that was on the line and 'reset' the port settings"

That was probably an unwise move.  Looking at your previous stats, it rather looked as though the DS SMRM had been set at 9dB to improve stability.  The recent stats show the DS to now be 6dB (the 'standard' setting) which given the history of this line, is likely to lead to more disconnections.

Did the engineer consider REIN?

It would be really helpful to get a router on this line which could be monitored for SNRM variation.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

newtondeli
Grafter

He just called me to tell me what he'd done, although he did call before the appointment and I explained the history to him to make sure he was aware.

In terms of REIN, he did say that he couldn't see anything causing interference, which I presume is what he was talking about? Obviously we're open now and there is equipment on, but the previous disconnections have occurred with nothing else powered on in the shop at all.

If it helps at all, he said we're about 90m from the cabinet and 2.6km from the exchange. 

Really do need to try and find a working solution, as it's negatively impacting the business to the point where we are losing large volumes of orders with the Just Eat and Uber devices going offline, and at a time when we are entirely reliant on these orders as we cannot allow customers into the shop. Sad

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf 

In a bid to try to deliver some stability on this line, is setting the DS target SNRM to 12dB a sensible approach?  Yes it will hit DS speed, but as it is, the level of disconnections makes the service non-viable.

Cease and re-provide - is there a service interruption with that process?  This being a take-away service any interruption would be unhelpful.

@newtondeli 

Has any disconnection events been correlated with the use of the telephone - either inbound or outbound calls?  A faulty line card in the exchange can cause ADSL to drop in the presence of call initiation on the line.  Clean line, new SSFP on the phone socket ... we are now looking for odd-ball causes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

newtondeli
Grafter

Cheers @Townman , any ideas and suggestions are appreciated. Smiley

We don't actually use the line for calls at all - we've got a VOIP system (which makes the dropouts even more problematic!) although there is a failover phone plugged in and can confirm we've neither made nor received any calls that correlate with the dropouts issues.

I could take a drop in speed if it helps to rectify the stability issues - as you say, it's unusable as it stands. Would happily look at upgrading to a faster connection too , but obviously need to get the dropouts issue rectified first.

newtondeli
Grafter

Could a member of Plusnet staff take a look at my ticket please? I seem to be getting some very disjointed answers.

After reporting the fault was still present, I received a reply suggesting I consider upgrading to Fibre. I said I'd be happy with this if it would fix the issue, and asked for a price. Was then told it may or may not fix the fault, so I asked for a price on the basis that it would potentially rule out some possible issues.

I then received a reply saying you'd been told the fault was fixed (it's not!) and that the line had been stable since the engineer left, attached to which was a radius graph showing 3 connection drops after the engineer had gone!

When I responded pointing out the disparity in replies and that the fault was still present and I'd been discussing the option of upgrading to see whether it would provide a fix, or alternatively how best to further escalate, I then received an email telling me to phone the Customer Options Team if I wanted to upgrade.

I just want a stable, working line! Happy to upgrade if that will help, happy not to upgrade if it can be fixed, but the disjointed responses really aren't helping my frustration nor building my confidence in Plusnet. Have to say, as things stand, I think we may be looking for an alternative provider for both businesses as the contracts end - which is a shame as so many of the staff are so helpful, but others really aren't!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

To Plusnet team...

There is zero point upgrading to fibre before BTOR resolve the fault they appear to be unable to find.  If the fault is in the d-side, the fault will persist with FTTC.  Only if the fault is on the e-side or in the exchange will an upgrade to FTTC avoid the problems being experienced.

This needs a highly experienced Plusnet faults analysis to take full ownership of the issue.  The BTOR engineer appeared to recommend a post shift (or a cease and re-provide) - has this been done?

Has a full lift and shift been done on both d-side and e-side?

@Gandalf  - I will send you a PM.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @newtondeli 

I'm sorry for the continued problems with your broadband connection. I've tested your line and the tests are showing a line card fault at the exchange so I've passed this to our suppliers and an engineer should be investigating by 15/05/20 23:59:59. This ties in with what you've said that the previous engineer has advised about a problem at the exchange. 

A cease and reprovide wouldn't really help unless the engineer's referring to a cease and reprovide as something else like a lift and shift to move you onto a different port at the exchange, rather than how we'd know it.  

Ceases and reprovides are where we'd cease the services (phone and/or broadband) and then reprovide them, but it's likely through this method that the service would simply be reactivated on the same equipment with no changes. This is normally done if you can't get online at all and a broadband connection (generally fibre) was originally built on incorrect routing.

On the most recent engineer visit, it looks like they reset the SNR and renewed the master socket to a modern version.

Personally as the product change to fibre is in progress and it's due to complete a week today on the 20th May, I'd recommend allowing that to go through as it may 'fix' the problem. If the fault's fixed sooner and you prefer to remain on standard broadband, we can look at moving you back (we may have to wait until the product change completes though).

I'm taking this on personally (again) moving forward and hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this soon. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf 

Thank you for grabbing this one.  One wonders why the BTOR exit test did not locate this fault ... though based on personal experience "Oh there must be a fault with the exchange test head - it all looks OK from here" I can imagine why not!

Yet again, you work your magic where others have not found an issue to chase.  Hopefully this will resolve the issue once and for all.  The only defence herein is that line card faults are the last place one looks for issues ... but when all other bits check out "OK"...!!

@newtondeli,

So you went ahead and ordered FTTC?  You're existing BT Hub 6A will also support VDSL (FTTC).  If you were to take the Plusnet Hub One option - it is a BT Hub 5A and router stats DOES WORK with that version.