Did you mean: 

Intermittent Speed Issues

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Intermittent Speed Issues

Thanks for the post back @newtondeli 

I've tested your line again and checked things out this side and I can't see anything else at this stage I'd be able to do to try to improve your speed further, but following the efforts the engineer carried out today hopefully within a day or so your download speed picks up a bit more closer to the 11mbps that your router is getting and doesn't drop down.

Can you let me know how it goes? Cheers Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
newtondeli
Grafter

That's great, thank @Gandalf  for all of your help. The good news is that, whilst a little slower, the connection so far seems more stable than we were seeing before - previously as mentioned it would seem to drop out (even though the link stayed active) and we'd lose all connectivity for a few minutes. I've not yet experienced this since the engineer carried out his work.

Incidentally, I had thought about repalcing the router (I've got a selection of old BT hubs to choose from, which according to other threads can be used) - would it make sense to swap this over now, or should I wait until things have stabilised first? Not sure whether the change of router would make any difference to the speeds, but just conscious that I don't want to throw another variable into the mix unnecessarily, or would it be better to get the changes/instability out of the way now rather than risking upsetting it further down the line? 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @newtondeli it's good to see your line appears to be holding strong so far and hopefully your speeds go up with time. It should be OK to swap the router out for another if there's just 1 or 2 drops, but if you plan to try your selection out before deciding on one it may be best to wait until we've got the stability and speed issues sorted otherwise we'll risk upsetting the DLM software at the exchange if it sees multiple drops. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
newtondeli
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf 

Thanks for updatingmy ticket. For some reason I'm unable to reply on there with attachments, so I'll add them here instead.

Please see below the BTW speedtest result I've just obtained, along with the router stats. I haven't yet tried swapping out the router for the BT hub as mentioned previously, but have one configured ready to go so I'll try that after we close this afternoon and see what difference it makes.

Cheers,

Marc

Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 12.53.24.pngScreenshot 2020-01-29 at 12.59.57.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Marc, thanks for the post back.

Disappointed to see your speeds have dropped although your line itself appears to still be holding strong. Was this on one of your hard wired connections? Let me know how it goes once you've had a chance to try another router.

With regards to attaching files to a ticket, by any chance are you getting the following error?

"Antivirus scan detected a virus in the file
INPUT_FILE_UPLOAD_FAILED_VIRUS_CHECK"

If that's the case do you have an antivirus or firewall/could you try temporarily switching them off and trying again if you do? I've had a few reports of people getting this error recently and I'd like to investigate this further.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
newtondeli
Grafter

Thanks @Gandalf . 

I'm back at the shop now, so will try swapping out the router and see how we get on.

Yes that was with a hardwired connection. It was unusually low - generally we're seeing between 6Mpbs and 8Mbps down, but as before it seems to drop out (without actually losing sync) to the speeds we were seeing earlier.

Re the ticket error, yes that's the one. I was trying to upload from a Mac if that makes any difference? JPEG format image, no additional security or AV software running.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers @newtondeli thanks for the detail.

Interesting about the ticket as somebody else who got that error is also using a Mac.

I'm going to try to replicate this on my own account when I'm home tonight as I've got both Windows and Mac's

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
newtondeli
Grafter

BT router now in place, and after giving it an hour or so we're now seeing much stronger speeds. Still 4-5Mbps less than the sync speed at the router, but useable at least unlike the dial-up we were getting earlier! 

Good luck getting to the bottom of the ticket issue @Gandalf - if you want to test it out and don't have access to your mac when you're in the office, feel free to reply to our ticket and I'll try again uploading attachments. I'll be at my desk all day tomorrow as the clock ticks down to the dreaded tax return deadline! 🤣

Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 18.45.20.png

Screenshot 2020-01-29 at 17.33.14.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's good to see your speeds are better, fingers crossed it holds and go upwards not downwards. Cheers for the help with the ticket issue, will let you know if I need you to do any testing. 

Good luck with the tax return!

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As an update on the ticket issue, I've been able to replicate this from my Mac via Safari/Chrome and iPhone.

Successfully added the same picture via my Windows laptop. I'm going to raise this for further investigation. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As a quick update to the ticket issue (don't want to take your thread off topic!) this is under investigation (Ref: IMT-5610)

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
newtondeli
Grafter

Apologies @Gandalf for going AWOL...it's been a crazy week here!

Just wanted to update that our connection appears much, much more stable following the combination of Openreah work and router swap. Now using a BT Smart Hub that I had lying around and consistently seeing in the region of 10Mbps with no stability issues - we've not had a single failed card transaction or online order we've not been able to retrieve, so touch wood all sorted. It's still a couple of Mbps slower than we were perhaps expecting, but lightyears ahead of what we had in terms of usability. 

Thanks for your help! Smiley 

Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 15.44.28.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Marc, no problem that's cool and I'm happy to see your connection is stable now, it looks like there's been no drops in the past 5 days so long may that continue!

From the supplier speed estimates for your line here it looks like your line is over-performing beyond Openreach's expectations as they estimate your current speeds should be between 6mbps and 8mbps, but the main thing is your line's stable and you've been able to do what you'd need to do to run your business. Thumbs_Up

Feel free to let us know if you have any further issues or there's anything else you'd need help with.

Cheers -Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@newtondeli 

Given your account name and reference to Just Eat, I expect that you have a number of industrial fridges on site?

The significant variability of DATA speed in the face of good SYNC speed could be caused by RFI from one of the many electrical applicances on the premises.  I note that one of the router stats posted reported quite high SNRM which can be indicateive of there being RFI noise present at the time of the previous disconnection and resync.

Keeping an eye on the line stats would be beneficial.  Which BT Hub are you using?  You need to look for the version number.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

newtondeli
Grafter

Bringing this one back from the dead, as after a period of improvement (it was never perfect, nor great) we're now once more seeing regular dropouts - up to a dozen loses of connection in the space of an hour yesterday, and not much better today.

@Gandalf Could I possibly ask you to have a look at the line stats for me again please and see how they're looking your end and whether you can see the drops I'm experiencing?

Thanks!