cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instability on Annex M - seems fine on Annex A? :(

mungler

Instability on Annex M - seems fine on Annex A? :(

Hi,
I joined Plusnet on 6th Nov, having ordered an unlimited business, 1-month, with prioritized service and annex M add-ons for my home office.  I migrated in from Eclipse (who, by the way, nobody in their right mind should ever, ever, EVER use).
On the first day, I had no Annex M, then realised I had to upgrade my old router's firmware (its a Linksys WAG 200G).  One slightly tricky google session later, I had an upgraded router and was seeing speeds of around 15Mbps down and 1.9Mbps upload (from speedtest; modem sync speeds were higher, of course).
Things have been grand, apart from the odd outage, until the last two days, where the connection is still plenty fast when connected, but it just keeps dropping.  I tried another router I had (Thomson Speedtouch 585v6 - wherein I had to enable Annex M via telnet!) and even went out and bought a new one (TP-Link Archer D2), all to no avail.  In fact, if anything its worse with the Thomson or TP-Link than with my trusty old Linksys.
In desperation, I switched back to Annex A (i.e. standard ADSL2+, without the Annex M add-on) and now the connection appears to be rock solid (touch wood... its been about 15 mins and no drop-offs).
I recorded a ping trace from when I started troubleshooting - https://gist.github.com/mungler/6302fb7300f38d69d188 - you can see the connection come and go throughout.  Around ICMP 2300 is where I switched back to Annex. A and its been fine (apart from the odd single-line request timeout) ever since.  As I write its at ICMP 4971 and still going.
Does anyone have any idea why this is the case?  Do I need a better router to be able to handle Annex M without these problems?  Or am I doomed to not be able to use the extra upload speed?
Much obliged for any help!
1 REPLY 1
mungler

Re: Instability on Annex M - seems fine on Annex A? :(

Got a cheap BT Homehub 4 off ebay, and hooked it up.  No config option for Annex M but it seemed to 'just work'.  I had high hopes, but the dropouts have started once again. So after trying four different modems, I think we can safely conclude its not the modem thats at fault...