cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am sorry to bring this to the public forum....

Be3G
Grafter

Re: I am sorry to bring this to the public forum....

Quote from: Sean
Yes but Plus Net attracted me all those years ago because they appeared to be more aimed towards the power user, the people who actually know a bit about computers.
The problem now with all ISP's is that they're all offering huge line speeds but not a single company or the entire country as a whole can support this.

I wonder if you'd be better off with Andrews & Arnold – they're not cheap, and they don't offer any unlimited/unmetered packages, but my feeling is that they're exactly the sort of power-user ISP Plusnet once were. And I'm sure they can sort you out with however many IPs you need (within reason, of course).
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Quote from: Simon
Quote from: Sean
Yeah, issue still not resolved, in fact noone can even yet give me a reason for the slow speeds.

As you know from my previous posts, I don't think there is an ideal PN product profile for the homeworker.

As a homeowroker looking for a package and exploring the options 1 2 and 3 - you're dead right. On the phone i asked a lot of these questions and was not once told about what you just linked to. having seen it today I won't be taking any of the business options now. They may be suitable for the home worker from 8-5 but they are not suitable for the homeworker's family when work stops.
seanbranagh
Grafter

Not a single thing on that page can explain why I am struggling with unusably low speeds at 6 in the morning or any other time throuh the night.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
I wonder if you'd be better off with Andrews & Arnold – they're not cheap,

Brilliant - thanks  Smiley
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): fixed quote.]
seanbranagh
Grafter

Quote from: Be3G
I wonder if you'd be better off with Andrews & Arnold – they're not cheap, and they don't offer any unlimited/unmetered packages, but my feeling is that they're exactly the sort of power-user ISP Plusnet once were. And I'm sure they can sort you out with however many IPs you need (within reason, of course).

You are right, they're not cheap! I do get the impression it would be a good, honest connection though. I will read more
Simon_M
Grafter

Yep - if I found myself obliged to move, that would be my first port of call.
I suspect I would be a bit out of my depth in their user self-help groups though - very tech-speak! It's the place to go though when you do have difficult questions to get answers to. A search of their forums or usergroups usually produces the answer without you even having to betray your ignorance by asking the question!
seanbranagh
Grafter

Took a closer look. They are not really more expensive IF they do not use throttling. I have dropped them a line and asked about this. I have also asked about static IP's as I currently have 8, most of which are in use.
According to their site there is or soon will be fibre to my cabinet, exciting!
If they come back with the answers I am wanting to hear, Plus Net will be needing dust masks for the cloud of dust I will leave as I take off running!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have a look at http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/aaisp.html
I don't remember ever seeing posts on there where the slowdown was not caused by BT. I also get the impression that there push BT a lot harder when there is exchange/BT network contention.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
seanbranagh
Grafter

That is good news. I have never experienced any BT/exchange releated connection problems here.
I really hope they can provide the answers I need tomorrow that will make my mind up.
Lurker
Grafter

I am in the process of moving all our accounts to A&A - I started a while ago, kicking things off with a troublesome account that PN had never been able to offer decent service on (despite pretty good stats...)
The service was excellent, and we are moving others over in a phased approach.
I can't recommend them highly enough - all the things that attracted me to PN originally are available there (yes, its not the cheapest, but for the levels of usage we have generally they aren't massively more expensive).
seanbranagh
Grafter

I am just of the phone with them. Thay are able to offer everything that I have with Plus Net with absolutly no throttling at any time of the day  Smiley
However I am going to wait until the end of the month when FTTC is enabled on my line otherwise I would have to pay now to migrate then pay a regrade fee at the end of the month.
Cannot wait for what should hopefully be a usable internet connection!  Grin
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Might be seeing you on their forums soon  Smiley
seanbranagh
Grafter

Yep, I will see you there  Grin
I am surprized noone from Plus Net has been on this thread to try and save the customers?
It would not do any good at this stage, in my case at least!
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

As with most things, you get what you pay for.
At least PN are more open and honest than most about what they do, why and how.
On that basis they can't honestly expect to hang on to technically savvy people for whom there are more appropriate services that PN actually don't supply.
And not being concerned about an honest discussion of such issues is at least more mature than some ISP's I could mention.  Roll_eyes
I no longer get my broadband from PN but I have referrals and also continue to recommend them; but they're not the best choice for me personally at present.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

On the contrary they try to save you by making you telephone for a MAC code instead of offering it online.
I've even been offered a big discount to stay.
However the discount really brings the package down to what it should be, having checked the market out.
Sean - having looked around, google 'XILO' as well, not sure if they offer the IPs you need but seem in a similar vein to aaisp with different usage patterns.
aaisp works better for me though as I don't use many Mb 8-5
However your point (HP) is very valid, PN has become and very good ISP for the large majority who want to log on check facebook check ebay and watch a bit of youtube.
I recommended them to my family who came off sky and they've been very happy, i would also recommend them to friends who are casual users.
I signed up for PRO as a keen gamer (at the time) and have seen it steadily degrade in terms of speed and response times from staff, the knowledge of the new staff is also patchy, it seems the poor beggers have been thrown in at the deep end. Not withstanding that the long standing staff around here are brilliant, but there is too much for them to do.
IMHO they have simply over sold their capacity since being taken over by BT.