Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Hub One not connecting to the internet over 5ghz

silentmonkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Home Hub One not connecting to the internet over 5ghz

One of my business customers, GlamouriZe, has just upgraded to FTTC from ADSL any you have shipped them a HUB One router to replace their existing Hub Zero. This they installed last Friday and they immediately had problems with some devices not connecting to the internet. There pervious router had been working fine.

I've visited today and found that any device connected on 2.4Ghz can access the internet fine while those devices connecting at 5Ghz connect to the router without issue but have no internet connectivity. The routers status pages show the connected devices as either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz but everyone of the devices on the 5Ghz list has no internet connectivity. If I disable the 5Ghz radio all the devices connect at 2.4Ghz without issue an have internet access. A Wi-Fi survey found no conflicting channels and only two other 5Ghz routers in range with weak signals. I have rebooted and power cycled the Router and I still cannot get any 5Ghz Connected devices to access the internet

I raised a support call and was told the following.

1) Is there smoke coming out of the router or does it feel very warm!  Answer: NO and No

2) Try connecting each of your devices in with the admin password instead and go to the configuration page. (No direction on how to do this like go to 192.168.1.254 in a browser first! Or what to do when I get there)

3) Your devices are probably to modern and too fast for our router, and you should buy a third-party Router.

To me the problem was either a miss configuration or a faulty modem. Since nothing has been changed in the configuration (they just plugged it in straight from out of the box as you should.) it’s more likely to be a faulty modem so I have persuaded her to send out another one. However, I think some better training for you operatives might be in order here.

Now, I have just gone on to these forums only to find this is a widely reported problem with these Hub One routers dating back to the beginning of 2019 which still doesn’t seem to be fixed. So, my questions are:

1) I see from other recent posts that a new firmware is being released. Does this resolve the 5Ghz Wi-Fi issue?

2) Why are you supplying routers to customers that, by your own operative’s admission, are not fit for purpose.

3) Is it official policy to supply a router and then advising customers to use a “third party router because they can’t keep up with modern devices?”

4) Which routers do you recommend, and will you then credit us the cost and then support it?

7 REPLIES 7
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Home Hub One not connecting to the internet over 5ghz

Hiya @silentmonkey, thanks for getting in touch.

I am really sorry for the issues that your client is having with their router. The Hub One router does work adequately for the majority of our Customer base however, there may be some occasions where it isn't suited to the environment and a third party one would be more suitable; this isn't something we would look to issue I'm afraid.

With regards to the firmware, can you please advise of the firmware version it is currently on and if an older version we can request this is updated? This can be found once logged on to the router page.

Give the issues being experienced with the devices, I have now split the routers wireless frequencies so each device can connect to whichever is more suited. The 5GHz does have a stronger signal but the range isn't as good, so is best used for devices used in close proximity to the router.

Let us know how this goes!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
silentmonkey
Rising Star

Hi Lauren

Give the issues being experienced with the devices, I have now split the routers wireless frequencies so each device can connect to whichever is more suited. The 5GHz does have a stronger signal but the range isn't as good, so is best used for devices used in close proximity to the router.

Let us know how this goes!

Does this mean you have remotely reconfigured the router and re-enabled the 5Ghz? If so when my client calls me tomorrow and tells me that they cannot take card payment or use their till again are PlusNet going to pay for my time to go out on a Saturday and turn it back off again? If not, can you please remotely turn it back off!

As for the firmware version I had assumed a new router would have the latest firmware or you should be able to see this remotely. I will need to schedule another visit to my client to get this information so I would rather wait for the replacement router to arrive and if that also has the problem try and sort it out then!  

I also note this article Glitchy 5GHz WiFi Hits Users of UK ISP Plusnet’s Hub One Router UPDATE - ISPreview UK which suggest this problem was the result of a firmware upgrade back in March of 2019 which still apears not to have been resolved 2 1/2 years later.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@silentmonkey - The 5GHz radio is still disabled from what I can establish, so splitting the SSID's won't have done anything (@LaurenB - we really shouldn't be making SSID changes without consent as it can be quite disruptive depending on a customer's network configuration).

I have remerged the SSID's but left the 5GHz radio disabled.

I have also pushed a firmware update to the router that I'm confident will resolve the issue. I'm not sure why you were being told to source a third party router Huh

The router will need to be rebooted to apply the update. I would then suggest the 5GHz radio is re-enabled. We can do both of these things remotely if you're happy for us to?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thank you for getting back to me @silentmonkey. I'm really sorry, I think I misunderstood what you were saying... I thought that you had the frequencies synced and that when the devices were connecting to the 5Ghz frequency it wouldn't work but after reading your last message it sounds like they had been split and unable to use the service when specifically selecting the 5GHz. Really sorry about that! If this is the case, it does sound like the router could certainly be faulty.

I've just made sure that the 5GHz is disabled so this doesn't cause them any issues.

I am unable to see the firmware version remotely but if they are able to check, just let us know and we can ensure it is up to date.

Let us know how things go with the new router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@bobpullen, sorry didn't see your message until I had pressed send!

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@LaurenB - yep, looks like our messages crossed. Not to worry Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

silentmonkey
Rising Star

Hi Bob

My client has had a bit of disruption this week with their till/booking system and CC payments and Saturday is their busiest day. I would prefer to leave this until Monday when they are closed as I can be on hand Tuesday if they have problems.