cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High-handed and contemptuous tone from your support staff

rgarner

High-handed and contemptuous tone from your support staff

Hi Plusnet,
I'm pretty angry with you at the moment. When I signed up with you on the business fibre trial, I was getting 47MBit pretty consistently.  Recently I had occasion to download some large log files and found my speed was not what it was. I inquired about the apparent loss of 15-18Mbit. The reply that I received was dismissive, condescending, and utterly unacceptable from any supplier. I'm reproducing it here in full (emphasis mine), because I still can't quite believe it:
Dear Mr Garner,
Thank you for getting in touch regarding your connection speeds.
I have reviewed the details and the line is performing as is expected. The speed estimate for the line is 34mbps and the sync rate is 33.5mbps. The speed change history does not show a higher rate in the last 4 months and the service is rate adaptive.
The cost of the service is an irrelevance; we sell ADSL packages and VDSL packages, providing you with the best speeds which we can on those access technologies.

Thank you for reminding me what you do. For the record, I pay £79.08 a month to be spoken to like this when I submit a support request. If you consider what I pay "irrelevant" then I shall endeavour to engage a provider that considers what its business customers pay "relevant".
When my fibre was installed, I had consistent 45MBit download speeds, going as high as 47MBit. The loss in download speeds makes my current day-to-day activities slower than they need to be. What I expected to see from your staff was an acknowledgement of my issue and an agreement to help.  What I got is a flat-out exhortation to move my business.
4 REPLIES 4
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: High-handed and contemptuous tone from your support staff

Hi rgarner,
I'm really sorry for the response you've received. I've taken a look at the ticket you are referring to and agree that the advisor used a poor choice of working, for which, I am very sorry.
I have raised this concern with the Team Leaders on the Business Team who will deal with this particular issue internally.
With regards to the fault itself, I appreciate where you are coming from with regards to the speeds you're currently receiving in comparison to the speeds you had when you first joined the trial. Unfortunately speeds aren't guaranteed and are only estimates. The speeds are only ever estimates due to the nature of how ADSL and FTTC works.
One of the most common factors is more and more people being added to the same cabinet you're connected to which can have an impact on the connection rate you receive. This aside, the quality of copper cabling may not be as great as it used to be, which is something to be seriously considered.
It's very unlikely that the cabling would be replaced (if this was found to be the issue) as the connection works and is within acceptable limits set by our suppliers. You are more than welcome to reply back to the Support Ticket with our thoughts further to this four our Support Team to take another look at for you.
As I mentioned at the beginning of this response, I'm really sorry for the way this was put across - we'll certainly learn from this.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: rgarner
I pay £79.08 a month

Which package are you on?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rgarner

Hi Jelv,
Still on the Business Fibre trial. Remember getting an email about the "real" service at some point but being too busy to do anything about it - had more or less forgotten about it till now.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I suggest you need to investigate switching package RSN - and save yourself a load of money!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)