Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTTP Download speed [RESOLVED]

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: HTTP Downloads - Low Priority

I don't think it is either - but it would rule it out!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mattewan
Grafter

Packets coming into my lan:

Packets outbound from my lan:

That is using the following url that oldjim posted:
Try this http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/kis_latest_versions
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That's Gold which is as expected - packet going out are not coded.
(BTW did you know you can directly attach images to posts without having to upload them to your webspace or anywhere else first - it's in Additional Options and Attachments... - saves your website bandwidth!)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mattewan
Grafter

So what is the suggested route now?
I have had 5 engineers out to fix the problem with dropping connections..... Which in the end was fixed 4 months later by taking me off max premium... which sounds strange but ok.
Now im getting constant terrible speeds when the premises next door (about 4 meters) gets 650k/sec constantly on a bt connection, which rules out the exchange being overloaded.
My speeds have always been bad, in relation to my sync speeds, usually around 120k/sec which I have never been too upset about to raise an issue over.... but since i have come off max premium these speeds are just unrealistic.
Last night it took me 4 hours to download drivers for someones laptop I was fixing... whereas i could have downloaded them in 10 minutes anywhere else.
Sorry... didn't really notice the attach options..... just rushing on and off here when i get a minute to reply.... wasn't really paying much attention.
mattewan
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
I'm pretty sure you've been taken off Max Premium if you are syncing at 448K.
I've never heard of a line fault being cured by taking away Max Premium - if that is to a permanent feature you could bear in mind that residential users pay an extra £7.83 per month for Max Premium and use that to negotiate a discount on your monthly charge!
If your phone ringing upsets the broadband you have a fault somewhere that needs investigating; it could be the line, any of your filters, your internal wiring or your router (less likely). Can you describe your setup (phone extensions and what is plugged in where) and what has been done so far to try and identify the problem please. I'm intrigued that whatever is going on does not seem to have affected your IP Profile.
Have you compared the speeds with those given on the table linked by Chris? Don't forget that they are Kbps (K bits per second) and your download software will almost certainly report KBps (bytes), so from 4pm to 10pm you should only be expecting to see 32KBps for download sites.

Sorry Jelv, i completly missed this post.
Basically, i had 5 engineers visit. They have changed everything they can in the exchange to no avail. The same things happens to their equipment when connected to my line when they do tests.... They see it drop and confirm there is a problem. They have even changed the socket on the wall for one with a built in filter... same issue.
A plusnet member of staff told me I have been put on 448k upload because bt reported my upload sync as fluctuating.... I find this strange because my router ALWAYS synced at 832k.... but maybe im missing something and it will always sync at the full speed even if it can't handle it?
They have taken me off max premium... disconnections HAVE stopped.... but now my upload and download speeds are terrible.... its like im 448k upload & download even though the router reports its syncing at over 5mb.
On another note.. a few weeks ago they changed my SNR on my line.... I use to sync at over 7mb..... They changed my snr to try and stop my disconnections..... maybe my snr profile can be reset so that i at least sync at what i should do..... since lowering it never fixed anything.
As for being taken off max premium.... I really think this has something to do with my speed, as its been terrible ever since. I may as well not have broadband..... Maybe i will just have to go back on Max premium and deal with getting disconnecting over and over again.... At least i will be able to do some work from home.
mattewan
Grafter

just to confirm, while everything on business option 3 should be linespeed other than gaming, because it is before 12pm:
sh-4.0$ wget http://download.thinkbroadband.com/10MB.zip
--2010-06-11 09:08:43--  http://download.thinkbroadband.com/10MB.zip
Resolving download.thinkbroadband.com... 80.249.99.148
Connecting to download.thinkbroadband.com|80.249.99.148|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 10485760 (10M) [application/zip]
Saving to: `10MB.zip'
100%[==========================================================================================================>] 10,485,760  58.3K/s   in 2m 54s
2010-06-11 09:11:37 (58.9 KB/s) - `10MB.zip' saved [10485760/10485760]
sh-4.0$ date
Fri Jun 11 09:11:46 BST 2010
sh-4.0$

Still Slow
mattewan
Grafter

Would it be possible to please put me back on Max Premium asap?
I really need to get some work done over the weekend and as it stands the connection is way to slow for vpn use.
I know the disconnecting will probably come back as a result, but I really cant do any work at the moment.
I have an open ticket on my account: mattewan which also makes the same request to put my account back on max premium.
Thank you
mattewan
Grafter

On a side note, I want to setup a voIP pbx. I am playing around with asterisk at the moment and i want to test this with the PAYG voip service. Looking at the help pages on plus.net it states that to enable voip i just need to go to "Account Details" and click "Activate Broadband Phone", which is an option I dont seem to have.
On top of that, I cannot log into the plusnet ftp servers using my account details.... I have never really tried until recently so im not sure if this has always been the case.
It's also worth noting that I use to be a residential customer. Is it possible some things were broken when my account was moved over to business last december?
mattewan
Grafter

OK, another update.
Back on max premium, and had my SNR reset
I am still getting slow speeds... infact in the last hour it has dropped from 50k/sec to 20k/sec
Interestingly enough.... if i use download managers to download something..... it goes faster. It seems to be a per connection limit somewhere... because it will download at 20k/sec with 1 connection, 40k/sec with 2..... all the way to 450k/sec
All 3 bt speedtests come back as poor performance
Thank you
mattewan
Grafter

Hello,
I guess it was a given that having my broadband go back on max premium would cause the disconnections to come back.
Im currently in work. Im locked out from accessing my files and server all day because the connection died at around 3am and wont come back in I get home at 8pm tonight when i restart pppd on the server.

1 disconnection out of say...... 8 will kill it all together until I restart pppd.
Looking on the brightside.... at least I wont have any speed issues today.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Is there anything you could install scriptwise that would restart pppd when the connection is lost, so that you do regain connection as soon as it's possible? We'll get a better idea of the number of disconnections you're experiencing that way.
mattewan
Grafter

Like I said, Usually it does re-connect but every now and again the pppd daemon on the server wont reconnect because I get PADO Packet timeout constantly until i restart the pppd daemon. It is strange because if i put my modem back into router mode and have that connect via ppp then the same thing happens to the modem after a few disconnections.
I will write a watch dog script to restart pppd if the interface ppp0 is down for more than 10 minutes.
My main concern at the moment though is my download speed, as even when it is online, I can't use it because its so slow.
Thank you.
mattewan
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Is there anything you could install scriptwise that would restart pppd when the connection is lost, so that you do regain connection as soon as it's possible? We'll get a better idea of the number of disconnections you're experiencing that way.

Most of the time pppd does reconnect after around 5 minutes, however, I have added a monitor service... and if interface ppp0 is down for more than 10 minutes it kills the ppp0 daemon, resets the init.d status to not started, then starts the service again.
This should ensure that the connection always reconnects.
// Edit to add ppp log:
Can't explain how unstable the connection was last night so i will just post the re-connect log here. Seems to stabalise at around 3am:
Jun 15 21:27:22 lucy pppd[27643]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Jun 15 21:39:59 lucy pppd[27643]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Jun 15 22:46:09 lucy pppd[27643]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Jun 15 23:19:55 lucy pppd[27643]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Jun 15 23:20:37 lucy pppd[27643]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Jun 15 23:27:58 lucy pppd[6956]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Jun 15 23:40:03 lucy pppd[8601]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Jun 16 00:01:44 lucy pppd[8601]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Jun 16 00:02:24 lucy pppd[8601]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Jun 16 01:00:31 lucy pppd[8601]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Jun 16 01:02:07 lucy pppd[8601]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Jun 16 01:10:39 lucy pppd[8601]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Jun 16 01:51:31 lucy pppd[8601]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Jun 16 02:13:43 lucy pppd[8601]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Jun 16 02:36:19 lucy pppd[8601]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Jun 16 02:53:18 lucy pppd[8601]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0

I must however note, that the following 2 reconnections were caused by me testing the pppd kill script I mentioned above, hence the PID change on the pppd process:
Jun 15 23:27:58 lucy pppd[6956]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Jun 15 23:40:03 lucy pppd[8601]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
moemoff
Grafter

I don't know if this will help or not.
I am on a business Max Premium and have been for a long time. I experienced a similar problem  a while back.
Every time I picked up the phone to answer a call I would be disconnected from the internet or I would have random disconnects all the time. It got to the stage I could hear the modem/.router actually trying to dial in when I was on the phone. - just like the old pre ADSL modems. Your not supposed to hear that.
I have a connection that avoids my house wiring  - the main inlet joins and then goes outside and back in .. like you have now - a built i filter as a main socket. However the line leaves my house under a path way and up  to a small spliced junction with my neighbours phone line before it goes outside to the BT cable box which then leads up the road to a green junction box and then on to the exchange
To cut a long story short ..it turned out that a connection in the small junction box with my neighbour had rusted so badly that there was hardly any connection with the wiring. It was a BT problem and they eventually fixed it.
mattewan
Grafter

Thanks for the information Moemoff.
I have tried to find where my line actually goes with no sucess. Looking at where the socket is on the wall (The only BT Socket i may add), there is no cable going to the outside of the premises from there, and all the cables here are underground. Infact.... looking at the premises from outside, I can't see a single cable on the whole property coming out of the walls and going underground or via overhead cables.
The problem is strange though. As when my upload speed is limited to 448k/sec my line becomes so stable, and doesn't drop at all. When its back on 832k/sec then it drops constantly. I can't understand what fault could be on the line that would cause that? Plus, with a download sync of over 7500k/sec the line seems pretty good.
I am willing to accept dropping my upload speed to 448k to stabalise the line, but only if plusnet are willing to try and fix my download speed issue, which I have also had for a few weeks now. I am feeling a bit annoyed just because the download speed issue doesn't seem to be aknowledged, let alone been looked into.
Thanks for the help.