Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting some Fibre in my diet

CrashBangWallop
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Getting some Fibre in my diet

According to The openreach availability checker Santa has decided to bring some of that Billy-Whizz super fast-ish internet to my village with FTTC
I'll hold off doing cartwheels until the final cabinet is upgraded but my question is do I need to replace the Technicolon TG582n that I have at present or will it cope with ~70Mb ADSL ?

I keep looking At this price list and trying to justify the cost of 220m of FTTP from the nearest cabinet.
As I work from home through VPN access the 10,000 miles a year I dont do anymore just getting to work would cover most of it but thats still a big lump of cash to be spending

4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Getting some Fibre in my diet

If you chose to upgrade to Fibre with us we'd be able to provide a new router (it's a 582n with different firmware) for your FTTC connection. Once the cabinet is ready just give our business sale team a ring to get things going.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
CrashBangWallop
Grafter

With an unexpected flurry of activity in the availability map I can now have have an up to 80Mb connection, it is being installed next week.
The router that turned up is badged Sagemcom which has not filled me with confidence, I have another Sagemcom device which is a wobbly thing at best so I will be keeping a close eye on this £5 router.
Part of the install process is to fit a new master socket and a BT openreach modem
Will the BT modem have FON enabled ?
Mark
Grafter

Will the BT modem have FON enabled ?

No. It's purely a modem, not a router.
CrashBangWallop
Grafter

All told the connection was only down for 30 minutes, no drilling or re-cabling required and I have 76Mb/18Mb link speeds.
Nicely done, one could even say it was "Champion!"

Mr Grumpy is happy today
Smiley