Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Franking Machine through Broadband

knowsnotmuch
Dabbler

Franking Machine through Broadband

Hi,
I was pointed in this direction by plusnet's technical support line.
In brief, we have a franking machine which we wish to top up with credit  via the internet.  We have connected it to the LAN which is recognised by the machine but calls made to the server are failing.  We have attempted both manual (required to provide IP address, dafult gateway settings, DNS settings and subnet mask) and automatic connections.  Our router is not provided by plusnet and the IP addresses assigned to individual pcs on the system appear markedly different to that provided by plusnet and similar to our default gateway. 
I am not sure quite what else to try so any assistance would be appreciated!
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Franking Machine through Broadband

Which router and franking machine do you have and are you using a single IP address or an IP address block
knowsnotmuch
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply.  It is an Allied Telesyn AR 440S and a Neopost IS240 Franking Machine.  We have just one static address from plusnet but individual machines on the network each appear to have a different address (by one digit at the end).
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Does the franking machine show up on the connected devices in the router
Does this help http://neopost.knowesia.com/livedesk/creative/neopost/startPublic/d3250445-0aed-232d-0909-bea4ce3cdb...
knowsnotmuch
Dabbler

Thanks, that's really helpful - I couldn't find anything when I looked on Neopost myself.  Neopost have advised many of those steps but have first suggested I get the IP address right i.e. whether it is the static address or requires an individual address.  They told me that until that is right then the port, firewall etc. won't come into play.  I guess what I am trying to find out is whether I need to try to configure the network somehow so the franking machine has an IP address like any other piece of hardware in the office...?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

The thing to check is whether the router sees the franking machine and if it does whether it is set up on a private lan or has internet access
knowsnotmuch
Dabbler

I don't suppose you would have any idea how I might go about doing this at all please?  Not something I am familiar with!
Thanks for your continued assistance!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

None at all I am afraid as I am not familiar with that router
Hopefully some of the other posters will be able to assist
Who set up your router as they should be able to help
knowsnotmuch
Dabbler

Just to say thanks for your input as this gave me an excellent steer in the right direction.  Sure enough another forum member got in touch and the issue is now resolved!