cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre failure

maldonchandlery

Fibre failure

We had  one of our fibre circuits go down on Sunday morning and it is still out now. We cannot get support to treat this fault with any import, although reported on Sunday, they say they didn’t report it to BT (part of the same group) until yesterday afternoon. It has just been bounced back from BT with no fault found. Needless to say the service is still out and we have another 24 hour wait. We have suggested that it could be a DHCP problem as we are seeing duplicate IP address messages on the WAN side of the server, we have asked several times to have the static IP released or replaced but this is not possible apparently as you don’t have enough IP addresses (Really?!?).

I have requested escalation via the Plusnet Twitter account but it’s patently obvious that this term in not in their vocabulary.

So far we have migrated 6 broadband services to your Company but I am inclined to stop the migration process right now and revert to Swain’s Telecom. At least they’d fix faults within an hour or two.
2 REPLIES 2
Kev
Grafter

Re: Fibre failure

Hi maldonchandlery,
I can see that this has been picked up by our Supplier Management team who have been discussing this with you over the phone and you have an engineer tomorrow.
You mention duplicate IP on the WAN side of your server, this would be the LAN side of your router. Did you configure your routers LAN side  with the IP we assigned or a 192/10 IP?
Your broadband connection would not generate duplicate IP errors on your side of the router unless I have misunderstood your post.
maldonchandlery

Re: Fibre failure

Hi Kev
thanks for the response. I'm very happy to say that the problem is now resolved. I've had long and amicable chats with Steve and hopefully there will be some procedural changes made to prevent any repetitions of the problems created by Openreach affecting users.
Re the duplicate IP, the router was configured with the static IP supplied. The error duplicate IP message didn't show on the router logs but it did appear on the WAN monitoring screen, this occurred twice. The message said something along the line of IP Conflict with MAC address E0..... (it went too quick to note), the WAN IP then set itself to 0.0.0.0 and the session closed. I understand that the fault was in the local cab on a line card. The engineer had had about four other customers with the same fault previously. You'd think that BTOR may just have spotted a pattern there.
Thanks for your help and apologies for the annoyed comms. Lack of info often drives people to distraction.
John