cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP for business

ricmelia
Grafter

FTTP for business

I have a query about what might be possible assuming that a business FTTP product will be available in the future.
My office currently has a BTNet "10 on 10" leased line over fibre. Green cabinets nearby have not been enabled for FTTC and don't look like they will be (in fact it's possible that our copper line is connected directly to the exchange).
My question is; as we already have a fibre circuit connecting our building to the exchange, when business FTTP products are launched, should we be able to switch from BTNet using this line?
(We're not fussed about 1:1 contention which from my understanding is the sole reason the leased line costs so much!)
Thanks,
Ric
5 REPLIES 5
snubbsy

Re: FTTP for business

Hi Ric,
Based on the information you have provided, I don't believe we would be able to provide FTTP to you.
Whilst we do have an FTTP trial, this is only applicable where FTTP is available. BTWholesale do not currently provide FTTP for exchange-based connections (i.e. where you do not connect via a cabinet).
Your existing BTNet connection is most likely a "BT Wholesale Ethernet" service which does not run across standard DSL/FTTP cabling/equipment. As such we would not be able to take over that service.
If you're not 100% sure whether you connect via a cabinet, and believe FTTP/FTTC is available for your line, you can confirm this using the BTWholesale availability checker:
https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/Broadband_Community/Coverage/ADSL_Availibility_Ch...
If it does show FTTP/FTTC availability, then we should be able to move you onto this service, however you would first need a Plusnet Business Broadband account: https://www.plus.net/business/broadband/
Once signed up, you could sign up for the FTTC or FTTP trial at: http://trials.plus.net
With regard to a non-trial FTTP product been offered, nothing has been announced or decided on this as yet.
Kind Regards,
James Snuggs
ricmelia
Grafter

Thanks for the response James. Unfortunately FTTC (let alone FTTP) is not available on our copper line and doesn't appear to be planned, so we'll have to stick with our super expensive BTNet connection for now.
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

You might try googling "Bonded DSL providers" if you want a faster service over copper lines.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
ricmelia
Grafter

Thanks for the suggestion. We used to have bonded DSL in our previous office but we're now in a fair remote location so would only get 0.5Mb per line.. I think we're stuck paying a premium for a dedicated line until BT upgrade our cabinet.
AndyH
Grafter

Just a heads up for PN on this one - there are a lot of businesses in the Milton Keynes FTTP areas who are still on leased lines or bonded connections (and paying over the odds for internet).
I don't think any other ISP offers a proper FTTP for business service yet - even for the large businesses, you can have 4 x fibre connections as the fibre cable BT puts in has 4 strands (yet only one is used normally).