cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP On Demand: Any possiblity of ordering it?

rhydsnewi
Grafter

FTTP On Demand: Any possiblity of ordering it?

Just a quick question. I've recently discovered that one of our plusnet lines is in an area where the BT Wholeseale line checker says that FTTP on Demand is available.
As this line is in a busy office that's currently only able to get 5mbit ADSL (we're too far from the cabinet for VDSL), we're very interested in finding out if we could order FTTP on Demand.
Is this something that Plusnet could supply?
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: FTTP On Demand: Any possiblity of ordering it?

Whether they can supply or not you should check the speeds they offer as it may only be 80/20 whereas others offer the full 330/30 or 330/20
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

There is currently a BT Wholesale block on FTTPoD orders. If the line is in Wales it seems likely that the block will be lifted soon but elsewhere is anyone's guess 😕
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/i/7198.html
AndyH
Grafter

BT Wholesale won't lift the stop-sale for one part of the country and not the other. It was a misleading article by ISPReview as Openreach never had a stop-sale on FTTPoD.
rhydsnewi
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Whether they can supply or not you should check the speeds they offer as it may only be 80/20 whereas others offer the full 330/30 or 330/20

Considering the line is currently about 6/0.5 I'd settle for 80/20 with no issues!
rhydsnewi
Grafter

Quote from: Andrue
There is currently a BT Wholesale block on FTTPoD orders. If the line is in Wales it seems likely that the block will be lifted soon but elsewhere is anyone's guess 😕
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/i/7198.html

The line is indeed in North Wales. I'll keep an eye on things.
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
BT Wholesale won't lift the stop-sale for one part of the country and not the other. It was a misleading article by ISPReview as Openreach never had a stop-sale on FTTPoD.

AndyH is strictly correct in that the suspension came from BTW rather than Openreach, but the impact is almost identical - there is no-one to order it from.
However, I reckon both TBB and ISPReview are closer to the mark than AndyH on the Welsh-specific impact.
According to this government press release, coming from the Welsh Office in Westminster in July, negotiations with BT have indeed triggered the availability of FTTPoD, "to the majority of premises in Wales", "by the end of summer 2015".
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/over-42000-more-premises-in-wales-set-to-receive-superfast-broadb...
TBB reported on this press release originally, with a noteworthy update:
Update 7pm The original UK Government article has now been tweaked to clarify the position on Fibre on Demand and has changed from:
"This is a business-focussed Ultrafast broadband technology, which will be immediately available to the majority of premises in Wales, and only in Wales"
to
Through negotiations with BT “Fibre on Demand” will be available across the majority of Wales. This is a business-focussed Ultrafast broadband technology, which will be available by the end of summer 2015 to the majority of premises in Wales"

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7038-42-000-more-premsies-to-get-superfast-broadband-in-wales.htm...
What the press release was changed from heavily suggests that Wales alone will be the "lucky" recipient, with the rest of the country waiting for FOD2 trials to continue in Gosforth and Huntingdon.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
rhydsnewi
Grafter

Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on the situation.