Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTC Fibre using backwards technology in the UK

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: FTTC Fibre using backwards technology in the UK

@ezplanet If you want to query with Openreach the possibility of if or when you'll get better speeds in your area then I'd recommend filling out this formwize: https://www.formwize.openreach.co.uk/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0b080d

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@ezplanet wrote:

I say it has a minimum of 20 Mbit/s impact which is felt more, the greater the distance from the cabinet, since the bandwidth used by the phone is a constant.

No-one should accept this statement because it's simply totally incorrect. The difference between 100Mb and 80Mb has nothing to do with the presence or absence of the telephone signal. Those are just fairly arbitrary limits the operators have decided to set as the maximum speeds they offer.

Not quite all of the FTTC cabinets in this country belong to Openreach. Call Flow have a few places where they have their own cabinets for FTTC, and they have chosen to offer a maximum speed of 100Mb, with exactly the same telephone signals on the lines as every other Openreach FTTC cabinet.

Also, you don't have to use any microfilters if you don't have any telephones connected to the line. You'd need a cable with a suitable plug on each end, but no filter is required. The main purpose of a filter is to stop the DSL signal reaching the telephone, they also provide an unfiltered socket for you to plug the modem in.

Anything else is like saying that in my opinion, 2 + 2 = 5, and that's my opinion so you can't argue with that.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@ezplanet  All you demonstrated in your post #14 is that you have arrived at totally incorrect conclusions. Virtually every sentence in that post is a false statement. I was particulary intrigued by " (the microfilters take a constant frequency bandwidth)". How does that happen when the FTTC connnection is a direct connection, only the phone line is filtered. I suggest you stop digging yourself into a hole with your fallacious arguments.