cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email woes now Business broadband has ended

CADdraughting

Email woes now Business broadband has ended

I have just discovered that due to my Business Broadband contract ending and returning to a new Domestic contract, when the email states if you are leaving Plusnet Business your webmail and domain hosting will stop, that actually includes even staying with Plusnet as a home user. The wording in the email was, to me, a bit vague/ambiguous and only became apparent after a call from customer services.

In a nutshell, I now have NO access to my emails (business or personal) sent to me as hosting has ended. Does anyone know if there is a way I can get these emails forwarded to a new Plusnet email address I have set up? I seem to be able to forward Plusnet emails to another email address, but this does not help me.

Now I have to go and find a domain hosting site it seems and set up everything from scratch. Then hopefully I will be able to access my emails as before, just in another way. Then there is the matter of whether I will get the past weeks emails that I have not yet been able to access.

If anyone has had a similar experience and can give me some help I would be most grateful. Many thanks in advance.  Jer.

4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Email woes now Business broadband has ended

For clarity - did you open a new (residential) account ... was you existing business account "regraded" to a residential account?

Opening a new residential account would be like any other account change...

• Old account closes - you lose all of the ancillary services
  • New accounts - have neither email nor domain hosting

Was the domain registered with Plusnet or just hosted with Plusnet.

If registered and the account it was attached to is now defunct ... it will be interesting to see how Plusnet manages the migrate away of the domain registration.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CADdraughting

Hi Townman.

In a nutshell, I have been a Business broadband customer with Plusnet for about 6 years, Prior to that I was a residential customer with them.

Recently, I have seen and been informed that Plusnet are not offering new Business B/B contracts, so I opted to go back to being a domestic customer. What I did not fully understand was that domain hosting & webmail would not continue. I had (incorrectly) presumed that the email was aimed at subscribers leaving Plusnet & going to another provider. My mistake I guess, should have studied law instead of design.

Anyway, the contract was due to end on the 31st of March. I started the ball rolling at the beginning of March, expecting one contract to pick up when the other finished. Not so. It was swapped over on the 20th and from that moment all email access ended. I have not been able to access webmail either.

The domains are mine, which Plusnet hosted for me. I have had them since 2006/7 for most of that time Plusnet did host them, when I was a domestic customer and when I moved to the business a/c. For what it is worth, I have been a Plusnet customer going back the the Madasafish and Freenetname days, 20 something years. That is what loyalty gets you.

I have spent a few hours on the phone today and (as far as I understand) I may be able to have the domains transferred to a new host and get email hosting set up some time on Tuesday. Pretty poor service from Plusnet, including not getting a call back I was told to expect. Once this 18 month contract ends, you can be sure I will be on the lookout for an alternative provider. Overall pretty disappointed with the level of competence with a couple of the rep's I have had to deal with as well.

One other thing and that is their epic fail by changing my landline number when I explicitly told them I dod not want to change numbers. I even received a text message assuring me they would not change it last Friday and then on Tuesday is changed.

I am also still waiting for BT SPORT to be activated, which I thought of as being the one benefit of going domestic. I used to have it , so presumed that setting it up would be a doddle. No such luck.

There you have it. Thanks for your interest & time. Kind regards, Jer

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The only way you’d get the continuity you anticipated would be by an existing business account being converted to a domestic account.

I suspect that is not possible … however a recent BUSINESS referral was advised that if the business (it is a pub!) folded before term, the account could be CONVERTED to residential.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CADdraughting

Thank you for the replies.

I guess that means I am without any emails until Plusnet completes the transfer of the domains to the new host and I can set them up.

Thanks once again,