Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email sent are being rejected as SPAM

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Email sent are being rejected as SPAM

I'd be very surprised if this change in behaviour hasn't originated from something Spamhaus' side. If you're after a long term solution, I'd suggest reaching out to Spamhaus about your individual IP.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

nickleverton2
Dabbler

Spamhaus say, in the policy description I just posted,

"Outbound Email Policy of Plusnet Plc for this IP range:

It is the policy of Plusnet Plc that unauthenticated email sent from this IP address should be sent out only via the designated outbound mail server allocated to Plusnet Plc customers. To find the hostname of the correct mail server to use, customers should consult the original signup documentation or contact Plusnet Plc Technical Support."

Looks very much like a Plusnet originated policy, hopefully Spamhaus are not listing your IP ranges without your permission and then blaming you for it !  Either way it seems to me to be in Plusnet's control and not in mine.

For the time being I have requested a delisting of my IP but Spamhaus FAQ warns that that is only temporary and any permanent reversion of this listing will need Plusnet to fix the issue:  https://www.spamhaus.org/faq/section/Spamhaus PBL#229

nickleverton2
Dabbler

Bob,

Spamhaus are still saying that Plusnet have requested the listing of the entirety of 80.229.0.0/16 in the PBL.  I know you don't do support these days yourself, but how can we get this changed, please ?

Nick

sbrundell

Just found this thread and have an identical problem

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

AIUI Plusnet were totally correct in saying the range should be listed. For at least 15 years Plusnet have stated that if you run your own mail servers you set it to send via the Plusnet SMTP server relay.plus.net.

If Spamhaus have changed how they act on that information for people who are not doing as advised that is something the users should take up with Spamhaus.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
silentmonkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi jelv

I'm afraid I must disagree with you on this. Spamhaus PBL is for ISP to notify them of the IP blocks they assign dynamically. The blocks that use fixed assignment should not be included.  Quote from Spamhaus

"The Spamhaus PBL is a DNSBL database of end-user IP address ranges which should not be delivering unauthenticated SMTP email to any Internet mail server except those provided for specifically by an ISP for that customer's use. The PBL helps networks enforce their Acceptable Use Policy for dynamic and non-MTA customer IP ranges."

While I agree that any one running a SMTP server on a dynamic IP should always use a relay, as a business customer I can ask for a fixed IP and this should be assigned from a block that is not included in the PBL. I have been using my IP to send email this way, without issue, for the last 15 years and it was a policy of Plusnet that you needed a Fixed IP if you hosted your own SMTP email server in order to avoid precisely what is now happening. You should also be aware that not everyone is in a position to use the PlusNet relays. 

With the depletion of the IPv4 Address space it may well be that Plusnet are now assigning some of these static ranges dynamically, thus prompting its listing in the PBL. But it will have been Plusnet that made that change.

My gripe is that I was not given any advanced warning to white list these IP addresses and thus me and my business customers, who are also on Plusnet, have suffered email delivery issues.

deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

In the list again https://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/query/PBL1668765

Ref: PBL1668765

84.92.0.0/16 is listed on the Policy Block List (PBL)

Just got bounced sending to a BT Internet address (remembering BT owns PN!).

My concern with sending via relay.plus.net is my domain may get blacklisted for not reverse DNS to the mailserver sending from. Not sure. My mailserver does declares itself under the reverse DNS for my PN static IP though which has worked fine for years but that's sending direct rather than forwarding via a relay. I also have an SPF record in the DNS which lists my xxx.plus.com domain as well as my own domain. Would it need to also list relay.plus.net?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The reason for needing a fixed IP is to allow the user to run their own server for incoming mail - you don't need a fixed IP for outgoing mail!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@deadkenny wrote:

My concern with sending via relay.plus.net is my domain may get blacklisted for not reverse DNS to the mailserver sending from. Not sure. My mailserver does declares itself under the reverse DNS for my PN static IP though which has worked fine for years but that's sending direct rather than forwarding via a relay. I also have an SPF record in the DNS which lists my xxx.plus.com domain as well as my own domain. Would it need to also list relay.plus.net?

That's not a valid concern. If you smarthost through our relay server then the recipient will see the sender as one of our outbound servers, e.g. avasout01.plus.net. These servers have matching forward and reverse DNS:

~ $ host avasout01.plus.net
avasout01.plus.net has address 84.93.230.227
~ $ host 84.93.230.227
227.230.93.84.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer avasout01.plus.net.

If you have an SPF record, then you will need to declare our relays as authorised senders. The easiest way to do this is with:

v=spf1 include:madasafish.com

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

nickleverton2
Dabbler

@jelv wrote:

The reason for needing a fixed IP is to allow the user to run their own server for incoming mail - you don't need a fixed IP for outgoing mail

You do need a fixed IP for outgoing mail if you care about any of trust, timeliness, reliability, security and authentication - pretty much all essential attributes for email.

- reliability: diagnosing mail delivery problems to end clients

- trust: being able to confirm fact of delivery of mails

- timeliness: ensuring immediate notification of problem, mail does not just disappeared into someone else's outbound queue

- security: ensuring correct TLS implementation

- authentication: ensuring TLS uses a certificate associated with the sending domain