Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email sent are being rejected as SPAM

silentmonkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Email sent are being rejected as SPAM

It would appear that someone at PlusNet has added 80.229.0.0/16 to the Policy Block List (PBL) at SPAMHAUS

Our Static Business IP is in this range and we currently run a SBS2011 mail server.

Quote from Spamhaus.

Outbound Email Policy of Plusnet Plc for this IP range:

It is the policy of Plusnet Plc that unauthenticated email sent from this IP address should be sent out only via the designated outbound mail server allocated to Plusnet Plc customers. To find the hostname of the correct mail server to use, customers should consult the original signup documentation or contact Plusnet Plc Technical Support.

Emails are now being bounced left right and centre! We have a static IP in this range. I have asked Spamhaus to remove our IP through there site but it would have been nice if PlusNet had warned about this change this first.

24 REPLIES 24
LessAnnoyingIT

Re: Email sent are being rejected as SPAM

Same here :(.

silentmonkey
Rising Star

It can be resolved by going here https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/ and enter your IP address. If it comes back with any red errors then follow the instructions and SPAMHAUS should be able to remove you. I've done this for my client and email now seams to be flowing ok again.

philrw
Hooked

It may be all Plusnet ranges have been added to the policy Block List.

My static range is in 84.92.0.0/16 and that whole block is on the list.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

mine isn't 81.174.***.*** but that is a single one not a block

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there, have you always sent directly through your static/connection IP or have you been using relay.plus.net for sending purposes?

Generally customer connection IPs will show on some of these lists, we would normally recommend smarthosting via relay.plus.net to send rather than the reputation of the connection IP.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
philrw
Hooked

No, I don't relay through relay.plus.net and never have.

I'm paying for a business service so I can run my own server without having to relay messages.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I believe the issue lies with Spam Haus, which wouldn't really be within our control.

Have you reported this to that company?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Should be fairly trivial to request delisting of your IP with Spamhaus, but agree that something seems to have changed. We'll see if we can work out what...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

silentmonkey
Rising Star

Hi Chris

Yes my customer has always sent directly as would most users using Small Business Server. They have done, from this IP,  without issue since 2004 when I signed them up.

I raised a call on the helpdesk for this yesterday (ticket number 154770327) only to have it closed with "Customer called to advise of email issues. advised it is being looking into" Great for stats, [-Censored-] for customer service! The agent also told me loads of people were reporting the same thing and it was a misconfiguration by the network team. He said it should be resolved by the end of the day.

For me I've resolved this by getting SPAMHAUS to white list my customers IP addresses.

As for smart hosting; we cannot do that as we require a dedicated secure email connection to the Courts email system and they will only accept TLS connections secured via their Self-signed Certificates from registered IP's

Once again it looks to me that PlusNet have no Idea how business customers use their service and made a change without performing an impact study or consulting their business customers.

silentmonkey
Rising Star

@Gandalf wrote:

I believe the issue lies with Spam Haus, which wouldn't really be within our control.

Have you reported this to that company?

Not according to SpamHaus. This policy must have originated at PlusNet hence the referral to your technical support

spamhaus.PNG

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@silentmonkey wrote:

It would appear that someone at PlusNet has added 80.229.0.0/16 to the Policy Block List (PBL) at SPAMHAUS

That range and 84.92.0.0/16 should be clear now.

Checking the lists this side, there are exceptions for a few of our ranges (including the above two) but for reasons I'm unsure of, some of these exceptions are no longer marked active. It could be that there's been some activity Spamhaus' side (possibly born from abuse reports) that has led to the exceptions being overridden.

A full audit of our lists would be pretty time consuming, and most of our IP's are used for residential purposes anyway so it kind of makes sense for them to be on the PBL. Nothing stopping customers from requesting their IP's are individually de-listed, and I think Spamhaus are pretty responsive in this regard.

Having said that, if anyone suspects any more large blocks have changed recently, then shout up and I'll take a look.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If the 'trial' is still running @bobpullen should be able to give instructions on how to send via relay.plus.net using TLS.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adream
Dabbler

same problem here on ip address 212.159.76.*** since the 1st august

nickleverton2
Dabbler

Bob, it seems that 80.229.0.0/16 is back on the Spamhaus PBL again https://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/query/PBL1668764, please can you fix this and hopefully in a manner that stays fixed ?