Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domains - Business Usage

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Domains - Business Usage

If a (very small) Business buys a domain, can (or should) this be hosted on my BBYW (home) account, on a temporary basis?
The intention would be that during startup (when traffic volumes are low) the 100MB allowance would be ample.
Or would a business account be required for all business activities?
I've never done any domain arranging before.
My intention is to buy the name of a cheap registrar company.
I'd like to host it on PlusNet if possible - because they seem to offer excellent help and support.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

8 REPLIES 8
xpcomputers
Grafter

Re: Domains - Business Usage

I'm surprised you've had no reply on this...
I might be wrong, but a while back I think I read somewhere that it depended on many factors, but that mostly a business would need a business account unless...
- the business was basically just a hobby or very small
or
- the broadband account was still at the home premises & the business operated elsewhere, so only the website was on the broadband account
(these were just from memory, so my whole thinking might be flawed or outdated/superceded now)
So, from that perspective, I would read that if you are starting up a very small business... that starting it's website on your home broadband account would be fine in the initial stages. How long that would stay being acceptable would be hard to tell... and would depend on where the business ran from, whether broadband was used by the business, or was mostly inconsequential (like, for example, a gardener!). As the business grew it might become increasingly inappropriate, or might remain fine forever.
I know that there are rules the other way round too, as you can get unlimited business accounts with minimal traffic profiling on them, and some home users see that as a way to abused the limits on home accounts by pretending to be a business when they are not, so switching too soon, might also be wrong!
Anyway, potentially a teleworker account needn't cost much more than a home user account, so in the future you could move over to one of those, which would then sit you on the right side of the fence with PlusNet for when your business expanded.
I think a Limited Company would always need a business account even just for the website, as one of my referrals wanted to move their business website onto their home account with PlusNet and they had to migrate to a proper business account as their domain was registered to their limited company.
Maybe someone could give an official position on this, to clear things up... my memory isn't what it used to be!

Assos
Grafter

Moderators Note:
I've moved this to the Business Users' Forum as it relates to business usage of domains...
Daniel
dpsimmons
Grafter

As a business myself no matter how small the site or the amount of bandwidth it uses i always have it hosted with a web host.
As a web host will always have a minium of a 10mbps and will have backup power. With our data center we have our own Gig uplink to the internet and to show you the speed diffences i have done a tracert to a google from my personal machine and one of our main servers.
As you can tell its a lot quicker Smiley just my two cents
just doing a video of how fast it takes to tracert a local from just down the road from the USA and the UK
VileReynard
Hero

Thanks - very good points about the speed/backup issues.
In my case it's looking like the question is going to be only of theoretical interest - at least for the time being.

dpsimmons
Grafter

Hi, uploading the video to the server in the putty video (asus) now and will attach the video (link) dont think plus net would allow a 90meg file 2bh lol.
if its for testing and wanting feedback on basic html yes go ahead other wise i would never consider such a setup.
I have around 4 different web servers one of them just handles our support and billing center for our hosting customers and when ever my company get a sales question to why they should not host from home we give them the results of not having it hosted remotely and what happen when we first started.
I must say we do host some parts of our site internal such as our exchange server but thats because we wont trust that in a data center as our bandwidth to documents would take way to much up.
the url is http://www.cornwallz-compz.com/error/asus.avi
VileReynard
Hero

It's an interesting video - but unfortunately the video is recorded at a high resolution.
This means that it won't play in real time as it downloads (for me) at around 50KBytes/sec.
I've downloaded it using wget and it certainly makes the point about speed.
BTW You are running your ASUS host with a root login and an internet connection.

dpsimmons
Grafter

Yes i was loged on 2 asus using the user root Smiley nice speed 2, its on one of my private racks Smiley the connection i belive is a 10/100 nic card in asus
xpcomputers
Grafter

Daniel,
Unless I am mistaken, the Original Poster (OP) was asking about using the PlusNet provided webspace (not a server at home), whereas you are talking about advising the user not to host the website on their on computer at home (something he wasn't asking about). Both of you can correct me if I am wrong.
I can fully see why outsourcing it in your scenario makes perfect sense (compared to in-house servers), as it will be hosted properly with serious bandwidth available and backups etc.
I suspect that the PlusNet provided webspace will be more than ample in speed for a startup business like AxisOfEvil needs (or maybe doesn't need now!). Only as business grows might the OP want to consider a more robust (and costly!) setup for the website. For initial start, the included webspace with the broadband account (so effectively for FREE!) can't be beaten IMHO!
I'd be interested to see what sort of speeds of data transfer you get off PlusNet's web servers when a site is hosted there.
Unless the site is dynamic with a database backend, then backups are very easy too. Just keep a zipped dated copy (of the whole site) each time you upload any amendments. That way if PlusNet lost the site, you could re-load immediately.
If you use a database and php, then PlusNet can still handle that for you, but backups might be a bit trickier, but I'm sure you could find details for setting a cron job to download you a backup daily.
Mike