Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain transfer - name server changes

FIXED
nkhughes
Dabbler

Domain transfer - name server changes

Hello...like many others I'm in the process of moving my Plusnet business domain to another host and I think I've sorted out most things - I've signed up to another host, set up and previewed a dummy website, and set up the necessary mailboxes.

I need to contact Plusnet to change the IPS tag, but I'm a bit confused about changing the name server details. My new host's documentation recommends doing this before the tag change, while the forum discussions I see here seem to indicate it gets done afterwards. I can't see anywhere in my Plusnet control panel/help how I do this, so does this get done somewhere else (by someone else)?

Thanks,

Neil

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

Re: Domain transfer - name server changes

Fix

but I'm a bit confused about changing the name server details. My new host's documentation recommends doing this before the tag change, while the forum discussions I see here seem to indicate it gets done afterwards. I can't see anywhere in my Plusnet control panel/help how I do this, so does this get done somewhere else (by someone else)?

@nkhughes ok, so yes you would normally change the nameservers once you've got the new hosting setup and configured, and then move the registrar (if necessary). Most domain registrars provide a facility to change the nameservers but Plusnets domain control panel doesnt I'm afraid!.

So when moving from Plusnet, you need to do the opposite, move the domain registration, which does not change the nameservers, and then change the nameservers to the new hosting using the new registrars control panel. Bear in mind that nameserver changes can take up to 48hrs to fully propagate

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nkhughes
Dabbler

Thanks for the explanation.

Could someone advise me on the best way of contacting Plusnet to switch IPSTAG please? I just tried the recommended business contact number (0800 0280282) and it just puts me through to the general phone number. The closest switchboard option seems to be "report a fault/help with service" and I end up stuck in a queue.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 405

Usually one of the Plusnet help team will pick up this thread and raise a 'ticket' for you to reply with the details i.e domain name and IPSTAG

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

@nkhughes I have raised a ticket for you on: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=235043841

I just need you to reply and I will get it raised for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team
nkhughes
Dabbler

Thanks Will...I've just responded.

willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 99

Awesome @nkhughes I have raised it up so should have an update within a few days Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team