cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Name and email

stevem999
Hooked

Domain Name and email

Hi everyone, new starter here and struggling to understand something.

I have just become a Plusnet customer on business unlimited fibre and note that I have a free .co.uk domain name registration in my package, as well as some webspace. As a small charity, we have moved from BT where we had btconnect email addresses but now that we have a free .co.uk domain name, it seems sensible to get one registered through Plusnet and set up email addresses using that new domain name which we can use for evermore as long as we pay for the domain name.

However whilst I can see how you get to the registration screen in our online account, I can't see any information about how email using that new domain name might be stored or processed by Plusnet, or how we go about setting up email clients to send and receive email using our Plusnet connection but via domain name style email addresses. Does Plusnet host the email? All I can find is information about Plusnet email addresses.

If I need to be finding another third party provider to store/host our email, and it is simply the registration of a domain name that is arranged through Plusnet, are there any recommendations for suppliers who have reasonable charges for such services please? Would I be right in then questioning whether I should register the domain via Plusnet or just do it direct with another registration provider? All assistance gratefully received.

13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Domain Name and email

You need to go to Manage My Mail https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=myemail&s=1&redirected=yes

email addresses set up there are in the form mailboxname@username.plus.com but email addresses but that you advise or use an email in the form mailboxname@mydomain.co.uk then the Plusnet system deals with it as mailboxname@username.plus.com as once  it is received by your account it only looks at the part before the @

stevem999
Hooked

Thanks for the response, but it's kind of made me more confused!

So, are you saying that PlusNet will host our email using our own domain name, and that we can set that up via the link you gave? i.e. if I set up info@xyzcharity.co.uk on that link, I will be able to send and receive email to that address if I set it up in my email client, and PlusNet systems will assume it is a PlusNet address?

If that's the case, then great. Just need to know the settings for my email client, probably Thunderbird. Do I find those on that link once I have set up an email?

Thanks

Oldjim
Resting Legend

that is about it - yes

so if you setup an email info@username.plus.com the Plusnet systems will collect all emails to info@xyzcharity.co.uk  and you need to set up your email client to receive them

the logon information will be username+info

stevem999
Hooked

Thanks again. I am still struggling with the link between setting up a plusnet email address and how it then knows to pick up emails addressed to my domain name at the same time? Is there not a guide to doing this somewhere so I don't need to bother people on here?

Oldjim
Resting Legend

There used to be but I can't find it

The setup email route used to help if I remember correctly but it has now gone

The link is very simple - too simple really as it isn't what you would expect

Any email sent to either your Plusnet email or to your Plusnet hosted domain arrives in the same box. The system then looks at the part before the @ and allocates it to a mailbox with that name. It completely ignores the part after the @ so all your email client needs to do is look for a mailbox of that name and the required configuration for the email client is username+mailboxname. The username tells the Plusnet system which box to look in and the mailbox name identifies the actual mailbox

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have a personal domain hosted on my Plusnet webspace but the domain is registered with 123-reg who are much cheaper that Plusnet.

Something to consider for the future maybe.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend

not any cheaper than free though is it Cool

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

No it isn't Jim but I didn't realise that Plusnet renewed the domain ad infinitum.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend

you do realise that this is in the Business Board and a free domain is included as standard

stevem999
Hooked

Thanks again for the tips. I guess I just need to try it and see how I get on. It still doesn't sound intuitive but maybe it will become clearer as I go through the registration and setup process.

In response to Strat's thoughts, it does raise a question about registering a domain through Plusnet. I know we get a free domain whilst we are business customers, but in the longer term, does that domain actually belong to us, or has it actually been registered by Plusnet on our behalf, who could conceivably then hold you to ransom with a large charge to release it? Is that something I should be concerned with, and perhaps register it externally?

malcolmfowles
Hooked

The above isn't always (or at all?) right. I've just been setting up my wife's new Android phone and had a terrible time adding her email account on a Plusnet hosted domain. I tried every conceivable combination of the above including <username>+<mailbox name>, with an authentication failure every time

Having ground my teeth down to stubs, I gave up here and googled "android email setup domain username". First hit was GoDaddy UK, which said that if you have a domain account, re-enter the whole email address including the domain wherever you are prompted for username. Worked first time.

Unimpressed.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Well there is something odd going on there.  Possibly presumptions made by the phone?

I have my own domain names and authentication using accoutname+mailboxname works without issue every time.  But there again I'm not using an android phone ... far from user friendly are they!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I use K9 on Android phone and tablet , accountname+mailboxname works fjne

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.