Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Name Query

MadPanther
Grafter

Domain Name Query

Hi
My business account came with 1 free .co.uk domain name.
How do I register this ?
Who owns it ?
Can I edit the DNS for it ?
and what happens to it if I leave Plusnet ?
Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Kev
Grafter

Re: Domain Name Query

Hi Madpanther,
I will answer your questions in order:
You can register this via the domain section on our portal:
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=domainv2&?membermenu=domainnames
To register the domain via our portal you will need a valid card on the account, if you don't this this you can raise a ticket requesting the domain name and the contact name and email address. The reason it needs a valid card is that at the point of registering the domian our portal will not know if you wish to register a .com which is chargeable.
You will own the domain name.
You can edit records on the domain, A, CNAME, MX for example. You are not able to change the name servers though. We do not support TXT records.
If you try to transfer the domain out within the first 12 months of registering the domain  you would be charged £52.88 inc VAT. Any time after 12 months of registering the domain name you can move it without charge.
If you need any further details please let me know.
decomplexity
Rising Star

Re: Domain Name Query

As always, please note the difference between registering a domain name and hosting it.
You can register a domain name with any registration agent who provides registration for that top-level name (such as .uk, .com, .biz and so on) .
You can host a domain with anyone who provides a hosting service. (Hosting is the creation of  DNS records on at least one name server almost always owned by the hoster. This becomes the 'authoritative' source of DNS for that domain although copies of the DNS records will be replicated worldwide.)
Your DNS hoster may (as PN do with TXT records*) impose restrictions on what DNS records you can change.

* for example, SPF and DKIM codes are added using TXT records and such codes are mandatory for among other things  sending bulk email via services such as Mandrill if you want to avoid the 'sent on behalf of' caveat which would otherwise be added to your emails   
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017